D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: D5 Build

Post by Netpackrat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:12 pm

terrulian wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:41 pm
It will not be damaged by banging into docks or other boats.
Yeah...but how about the other boats? 8O :lol:
They probably should have gotten out of the way. Image

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Usually when people see me coming in a boat they scatter. :doh: :lol:

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Well, it's been a few months and we are back at building the D5. My original plan to be finished with it by now didn't work out well. I took a promotion at work and I've been a little overwhelmed. Haven't had the energy. Here are some progress pics. Got the inside seams glassed and flipped her. Will be filling in holes, seams and then sanding. Hopefully, the outside seams will be glassed by Saturday.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:29 pm

We still are debating on a color. I'm leaning towards Easypoxy paint Platinum outside and white on the inside. Nice varnished rub rail. Should look pretty nice.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Parkrat, very nice work!! Glad to get an update and congratulations on your promotion!!! Jeff

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks Jeff! Not too excited about the promotion, but I was told I needed to move on.

Started sanding last night and shaping the edges. I really like this part.. something relaxing about it.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:26 am

Really nice, clean work Parkrat!! Jeff

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 pm

When it is time to put the rubrails on, a few strategically placed dowels will help much in lining up the slippery mess for clamping in the correct positions. And the ipe does look nice bright finished, even as minimal trim. 8)

As tough as ipe may be, being ground up against a concrete bridge pillar proves to be the winner in the contest, but easily cleaned up and resealed. Another wood might have required complete replacement.

Using ipe for only minimal rubrail *trim* kept the weight down and still did its intended job. :)

Watching your build just may get me to look over the D5 plans again with renewed interest...

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks for the info! I finished sanding yesterday and need to fill in a few small holes that I missed. Found a lumber yard in Dallas that carries different wood so going tomorrow to check it out. Hopefully, they have ipe. If not maybe mahogany, white oak or ash. I plan on building a steam box too. :lol: Just never ends. I think I'll put a few coats of epoxy on the rub rail and then some varnish. Should look nice.

Anyway... here are few more pics. I really like the shape of the D5. Something about it is very pleasing to the eye.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:16 am

Parkrat, very well done!! Jeff