D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: D5 Build

Post by Parkrat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:12 pm

Got it stitched together tonight. It was a little more difficult than my FS17 for some reason. It's not as exact as I would like, but with enough epoxy glue I can shape it. :lol: FS17 just zipped right together! Not really liking the bow and transom edges on top. I'll figure something out..

Here are some pics because you guys like pics. :D Got our engine today too!

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 am

The stitching looks so neat most surgeons would be envious. The whole thing looks great.
Alan.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Looks good! Keep posting those pictures.

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:11 pm

That looks absolutely amazing.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Moved the D5 to the garage and next to the FS17. Clearly, I've been bitten by the bug...

We stitched it together and then she put her first frame in made some fillets. Went really well!

We hadn't planned on putting fiberglass around the frames. Just planned on putting them on the inside seams and outside seams. That okay? :D

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:12 am

I glassed my whole bottom both sides, and all the seams. The frames I taped in seem to be more solid, and I know that the epoxy coverage is even and complete. For another $100 in glass and epoxy I think it's good value. I will also glass all around my main buoyancy chamber.

If I were doing it all again for this build I wouldn't buy tape at all. Just 200g woven cloth and sandwich the lot. Overlap at the keel.

Some go the other way, and tape only the outside. Depends on your use I guess.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 am

Parkrat, looking really good on both projects!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 am

Don't the plans specify where to tape? I think my V10 called for taping the frames. Adding more glass than required in the plans is not a bad idea on the bottom IF you plan to put the boat on rocky or shell beaches. Otherwise, be cognizant of the fact that you are adding weight.
Very nice work. :D
Tony

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks guys.

I'm not at home right now, but I think the plans called for tape on the outside and inside seams. Don't think the frames called for tape around the edges. Could be wrong about that..

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:17 am

It likely isn't needed based on the power specifications. That doesn't mean you can't ADD it if you want. Keep in mind that every piece of FG you put on add 2x it's weight and 3x the sanding. If JM says you don't need the tape then I'd just skip it.

Of course if you put a 150hp outboard on the back you really really want to add that tape ;)
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.