D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: D5 Build

Post by Parkrat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 am

No 150.. just a little Zuk 2.5 :D Might supercharge it or throw on a turbo :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 am

Keep in mind I taped EVERY STINKING JOINT in my row/sail v12. Then JM said "stop being stupid" (my paraphrase). He doesn't call for any tape, just a good fillet, on the mast partner for the v12. I think the force on that component will be much higher than any of the joints in a d5 with a 2.5. If I were to build my boat over again the only non-plan thing I would to is the hull armor for oysters. I'd have a much lighter boat.

JM has a safety factor in the designs. Build it as indicted using the right size motor and you will be fine.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 am

I don't know whether or not I'm sorry about glassing the seats and gunwales and brightwork. I'm certainly not sorry about glassing the bottom, which takes a real beating on rocks. I think that my V10 plans specified glassing the frames to the sides and bottom. Glassing will definitely help preserve the aesthetics of the boat in vulnerable areas if that is important to you. It was to me since I got a little obsessive about the finish.

With Jaysen's V12 and my boat, even if you built really light it still couldn't really be carried by one person, so you'd need a cart. This may also be true of the D5 but the website doesn't show its dimensions as far as I can tell. If you think it can be built light enough so that one person can pick it up and/or maneuver it from the car to the water, that would be cool for sure, and if that is what you want I wouldn't add one little piece of tape not required in the plans. Like Jaysen says, the boats are very strong as designed; no need to out-guess Jacques.

Jaysen: I have a new cart design that may work out. I'll get pictures after I do a test run.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 am

Oooooo. New cart design!

If I get time Lil Bit is getting salty this weekend! That will let me try the new axle parts out. I'll snap pics of that for you.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Rogerdog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerdog » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:17 pm

You were asking about good wood for rub rails.

Cracker Larry built a GF 18 for me a few years ago, and we used ipe. It would be perfect for that boat, and it would be easy to install.

If you call around to the high end lumberyards in your area, you should be able to find one that has a few 1 x 6 x 8'+ lengths in stock -- either something they stock for porch flooring or a leftover from an order. You only need one plank about the length of your boat. Set up your table saw and rip 3/4" strips out of the width. The wood is very dark brown, aggressively hard -- like iron -- and heavy. You can sand a little roughness into it and oil it or rub a clear coat on it, or let it weather. It will weather slightly gray but will rub up bright again with a little fine sandpaper. It will not be damaged by banging into docks or other boats.

Before Larry installed the ipe rubrails on my boat, he was very leery of it. We did some research online and found that you can glue it with epoxy. You may want to flame it on the side to be glued with a propane torch before you apply the glue (the idea is the heat pulls some of the oil out of the wood and the epoxy adheres better). That boat would look nice with one strip on the inside and one strip on the outside with the plywood sandwiched in between.

Your build is looking great.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:41 pm

It will not be damaged by banging into docks or other boats.
Yeah...but how about the other boats? 8O :lol:
Tony

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:46 am

I used Ipe on my boat also for trim and a samson post . You can epoxy it just keep wiping down the gluing surfaces with
acetone until the rag comes away clean and you're good to go. There is also tropical wood epoxy made for oily wood, cant
remember the name but you should be able to find it online.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 am

I'll check into the ipe. That's kinda what we are going after. I found a local place that carries reclaimed lumber. I'll go check them out...

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:34 am

Smith makes an epoxy formulated for oily tropical wood.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 am

If you go ipe...
1. Buy extra blades for what ever you will be using to cut it.
2. Go back and get more blades, you didn't get enough
3. Change blades the second the one you are using starts to cut slow
4. Be very careful with any edge that is not rounded over
That wood used to be known as "ax wood" and "iron wood". You can use it just like metal for axes, adz, broad knives, etc. It is glorious stuff, but do not underestimate how hard it is. And don't drop it on your foot. You will NOT enjoy that experience.

The other thing with ipe is that it is HEAVY. Last piece I had wouldn't float. Keep that in mind when using it for boat parts as it's just like metal in the context of buoyancy. Not an issue on a big boats or ones with lots of areas to foam in, but more of an issue with little things like the V and D series.

That ipe though... indestructible. Won't rot. Will likely survive nuclear Armageddon with nothing more than a slight scuff. And beautiful once polished. You'll love it as a bright work rub rail.
Jaysen wrote: