D5 build/new member intro

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

D5 build/new member intro

Post by Netpackrat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:37 pm

I didn't see a specific place for it, so I thought I would introduce myself here (and create a build thread) before I start making any other posts.

I currently live in Anchorage, AK, and grew up in Cordova down on the coast, which is a landlocked community of 2500 or so with only air or boat access. I was on rec.boats.building on Usenet back in the mid to late 90s which is where I got my introduction to the Bateau designs. I built (most of) a Stevenson Projects design and completed a Glen-L Pirogue, both of which I gave away when I moved to Anchorage back in 2001 or so. I had bought the digital plans for a Flat 11 skiff and cut out a few pieces before life intervened with that project. None of those parts made the move either, but I still have the hpgl files, which I lost the ability to view and print maybe 3 computers ago... I may do something with them again someday even though that design has been obsoleted by a new version. The only boats I kept were a couple of commercially produced fiberglass canoes.

I recently purchased the D5 plans and am hoping to start construction of the sailing version sometime this winter once I get my shop organized. I changed houses this year and the garage is still a wreck because I've been doing as much work outside as possible before winter comes. My oldest is 5 and getting to the point where he can follow directions well enough that I feel comfortable taking him out on small boats. He's got a 3 year old sister and the dinghy will be primarily for their use as they get older. I am going to involve my son in the construction as much as I safely can.

A couple of build related questions... On the plans I see reference to making the transoms out of both 3/8" and 3/4" ply. Am I correct in assuming the thicker ply is a builder option, and if so, under what circumstances would it be recommended? I don't really have any intention to mount an outboard.

Second, I saw there is at least one local-ish builder, down in Kasilof. Wondering if there is a good local source of resin, etc other than West Marine. I bought some of the West resin to get started with... It works and I've used it before on composite projects at aircraft mechanic school, but it was pretty expensive, and from reading this site I gather there are better choices. Back when I was building before I was using resin from Raka Marine that I got via mail order, but you can't mail glues and paints anymore, and UPS/Fedex for that kind of stuff is astronomical.

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: D5 build/new member intro

Post by narfi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:23 pm

This spring Fuzz (on the forum here) and I split an order from BBC delivered to Anchorage and the shipping wasn't too bad when you consider how much better their prices are than localy.
There is a shop out in Wasilla that sells supplies as well.
CAC Plastics
http://www.cacalaska.com

They don't sell plywood, but do have fiberglass and some (not sure which brands) of epoxy.

Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. I get out to Wasilla once in a while, so it shouldn't be too big a deal to swing by there if I need something. Though I can hit the West Marine place pretty easy on my way to work, so I have to take that convenience into account I guess. Probably going to order my plywood from Hardware Specialties here in town once I get closer to starting.

Poked my head into your build thread; you do nice work.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Hey Netpacket welcome to the fun. I am the builder down in Kasilof. If you are ever down this way drop me a line and we can chat boats :D As for ordering epoxy and stuff pm me and we can chat about it. The folks here can mail you about anything you might want. You can get their Marine Epoxy mailed to you cheaper than what you will pay at West Marine. And for me, at least, I like using it better. The West is good stuff but I just like the Marine better. I could not find a source of 12oz biax locally so I got mine here. I did buy 2 rolls of 17 biax locally but it is over kill for most things.
If you have questions about ordering stuff give the folks here a call. On my last order I had them fill up any empty space in the box with bags of wood flour. Worked out good. They will bend over backwards to help you. A real pleasure to deal with. :!: :D

craigyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by craigyb » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:05 am

I'm curious about your question about thicker and/or laminated transoms as well for these plans. I'm guessing it's to a builder's liking since it seems it'd be specified as non-optional otherwise.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:20 pm

In regards to the transom question I see no reason to add to it. Just added weight. I thought about this too.

I plan on using an outboard, but sticking with the same size as the plans show.

I live in DFW and gave up looking for retailers to buy supplies. I order everything from this site... can't beat the customer service. I was so impressed when I ordered all my plywood and how it arrived.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Parkrat, thank you for the kind comments!! I promise, we will always provide excellent customer service!! Have a good weekend!! Jeff

Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:33 pm

If the Bateau crew can ship resin and stuff up here that is great news, indeed. Post 9/11 getting any kind of paint or glue shipped up at a reasonable cost has been difficult. Last year I went through a multi-month nightmare of trying to get a small paint order shipped up. Wish I could have gone in with Fuzz and Narfi when they did their order, but even if I had been on this site then, it would have just frustrated me since I wasn't in a position to be buying a lot of stuff due to trying to sell my old house, double mortgage etc. House sold last month, so projects can once again proceed. 8^)

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Buying your plywood from Hardware Specialities in Anchorage is a good choice on your size of project. You need to order at least 10 sheets of plywood to make the shipping work cost wise. They will have to special order it for you and it will take 2-3 weeks before you get it. You can get all the other stuff, epoxy, fibreglass, glass tape, wood flour, fairing compound, paint, primer mailed to you from the guys here. One tip, order the 3 gallon kit of epoxy. You will use more than the BOM lists.

Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:45 am

Yeah, they seem to have a wide variety of stuff. I bought enough supplies at various places to get started but will probably need more, and what I am going to do for paint is kind of a big question mark at this point. On one of my previous projects I used Brightside, rolled and tipped per advice of my father in law (professional shipwright), and that turned out pretty well, but I am open to other choices. I am a little leery of some of the 2 part polyurethanes due to the health hazards. My brother and I own a fresh air supplied breathing system for paint and sandblasting, but that only protects the guy using it, and I will be working mostly in my attached garage. If I have to I can drag the whole thing out to his aircraft hangar in Wasilla and paint it there.

One slight disappointment at the BBC site was clicking on the link for small boat hardware, and there was nothing there. It would seem like if there's a market for plywood and epoxy kits, there might also be a demand for standard hardware kits for some of the more popular designs. Granted a lot of people are going to want to customize and configure their boats to suit their own preferences, but there's a great deal of appeal in being able to hit the easy button, and add all the basic hardware required (oar lock sockets, bow eyes, rudder mounting, etc) for the most common configuration to a shopping cart with a single mouse click.