D5 build/new member intro

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: D5 build/new member intro

Post by Jeff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:25 am

Netpackrat, excellent observation!!! We are about to work up some small boat hardware kits as we now have the suppliers to provide multiple name brands and quality levels!! Happy to always do something custom for you as well, just let me know what you need!! Thank you for the comments!!!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:47 am

Jeff, glad to hear that. I have wondered myself about this, and, not knowing how BBC is set up and even less about merchandising strategies, imagined that it would be an obvious market for you.
Tony

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:48 pm

terrulian, yes, we will continue to add new products each month in 2018 and would be very happy for input on what they want us to stock. We now have South Florida relationships where we can get most products next day!!! Tell me if you come across something you think I should stock!! Sorry to steal the thread, nothing more on the shop, I promise!! Jeff

Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:25 am
Netpackrat, excellent observation!!! We are about to work up some small boat hardware kits as we now have the suppliers to provide multiple name brands and quality levels!! Happy to always do something custom for you as well, just let me know what you need!! Thank you for the comments!!!! Jeff
Unfortunately I have already bought some of the hardware for this project, so I won't be in need of a full kit. I bought a set of stainless pintles and gudgeons for the rudder, and a pair of stainless oarlock sockets from Amazon because the prices seemed right and to take advantage of the free shipping since I was ordering other stuff from them. Also, you can sell most anything to an Alaskan if you make it out of stainless steel.

At some later time I may build an outboard skiff and will need hardware for that. One of the things I saved when we moved to Anchorage was my dad's 15hp Johnson outboard that we used with a 12' inflatable. The boat is long dead, but the motor was still in good shape, and I had an outboard shop do a preservation service before I packed it up and stored it. Not sure whether I want to build an Indian River skiff or an FS14. Have to decide whether or not it will get much use before going to the trouble though... I don't have much interest in fishing anymore. I still enjoy fishing itself, but I'm not much of a seafood eater due to being made to choke down seemingly endless amounts of salmon growing up in Cordova.

Another item of hardware I bought for the D5 that isn't shown on the plans, but seemed like a good idea is a black plastic mast partner that is supposed to be meant for a 50mm Optimist mast. If it looks like it will work for the D5 (it hasn't arrived yet), I'll probably build the mast to fit it before doing anything else. The overall low quality of lumber around here being what it is (they send all of the very best stuff to Alaska... not), I ended up buying multiple pieces of doug fir to laminate into the mast. It's amazing how far downhill the overall quality of lumber has sunk since the last time I did this. Thought about ordering some aircraft grade spruce for the spars but that seems like way too much overkill.

Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:50 am

Fuzz wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 pm
On my last order I had them fill up any empty space in the box with bags of wood flour. Worked out good. They will bend over backwards to help you. A real pleasure to deal with. :!: :D
That's probably the way to do it for bulky stuff like filler. I placed a small order with BBC earlier today, and I had to remove the 5lbs of wood flour because it would have nearly tripled the total shipping cost, and doubled the cost of the filler. Hate to do it but will probably order that item from Amazon Marine because the price is the same, but it is listed with free shipping (although half the time I get to checkout and find that they didn't really mean free shipping to AK, or more common recently they just won't ship to AK period). I already bought some cabosil and microballoons because that is what I was using before, but reading here has convinced me to try wood flour at least for the inside seams.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:11 am

If you have a cabinet shop near you, you may be able to source your wood flour locally. It's easy, consistent and affordable for most of us to just get it from BBC, but if you take the wood dust from sanding (a drum sander or wide belt sander generates a lot of wood dust), it might be usable as is; you don't want large pieces of sawdust, more like powder, so it's safer to sift it before using. One more caveat- there are a tiny number of woods that don't play nice with epoxy, so there is a risk of getting something that won't be good for your purposes, you might want to ask what kind of woods they've been working on and run a test batch with it.
That's a lot more trouble than clicking "add to cart", but isn't the AK motto to get it done any way you can? :D
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Before you go through a lot of looking for wood flour I would go to West Marine and buy a 5 quart tub. It is about $22. There is a fibreglass shop on International Airport road. Name is Fiberlay and it is at the back end of the strip mall by Sherwood Williams. All the way back and on the east side.

Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:15 pm

I was just there, and that was the price for an 11 oz container of their 405 filler. I didn't have a lot of time to spend looking, but if they had any other wood flour filler I didn't see it. Their prices for stainless hardware were obscene. I ordered 3 one quart tubs of System 3 wood flour (32oz each) for $8.31 each and free shipping. Will probably be here long before I am ready to start anyway.

Netpackrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:31 pm

pee wee wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:11 am
If you have a cabinet shop near you, you may be able to source your wood flour locally. It's easy, consistent and affordable for most of us to just get it from BBC, but if you take the wood dust from sanding (a drum sander or wide belt sander generates a lot of wood dust), it might be usable as is; you don't want large pieces of sawdust, more like powder, so it's safer to sift it before using. One more caveat- there are a tiny number of woods that don't play nice with epoxy, so there is a risk of getting something that won't be good for your purposes, you might want to ask what kind of woods they've been working on and run a test batch with it.
That's a lot more trouble than clicking "add to cart", but isn't the AK motto to get it done any way you can? :D
I used to have more time to play games like that before I had kids. I'm still going to do as much on my own as I can, but I have to try to use what time I have available more efficiently than that. Time that isn't otherwise useful to me for working on projects can be spent searching for stuff online, and I'm going to the post office to pick up the rest of my mail anyway.

Also, I do welding and metal fabrication work in my shop, so I try to minimize the amount of wood dust present. Some of it is always going to be inevitable, but making my own wood flour would be just asking for trouble. As it is I plan to drag the dinghy project outside for a lot of the sanding.

OneWayTraffic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWayTraffic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:10 am

My plans are metric. The transom is 9mm ply with glass on the seams. It will be reinforced by the rear seat which will be glassed in and also by breasthooks in the rear corners. I will attach rodholders to these. This is sufficient for up to 2hp. If using a 4hp outboard or bigger the Jacques recommended somewhere IIRC that double thickness is a good idea. I will put another layer of 9mm about 200mm wide in the middle just to act as a clamping board and glass so the clamps don't damage the wood.

Completely overkill for the 2.5 mercury two stroke that I have for it but adds very little weight. I can't see using all that hp either.

Now I have it built it is very strong. The only reason I am putting the pad on is to have more thickness for the outboard to sit on. Not for strength.