D5 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BGinNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: D5 Build

Post by BGinNC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:30 pm

The mast partner box limber holes are on the back side of the forward bulkhead. If you poke your head inside the 8" access hole it is visible. I also do have a slam latch installed on the rear seat now as well. I have about 135 lbs of built in flotation in the mid seat using .8 lb/cubic foot EPS foam. Even if she is swamped, she shouldn't sink. The boat itself only weighs about 90 lbs. I plan on flipping her in shallow water when I do finally take her out just so I can see just how she will react when swamped, and how difficult it will be to bail. My choice of the loose footed sprit sail plan was specifically because it has a lower center of effort, which will reduce the chance of capsizing as compared to the marconi sail plan. I really only plan on sailing in fair weather with light winds, so hopefully capsizing won't be a regular occurrence anyway. :D

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:29 pm

Sounds good; good idea to do the capsize test. I haven't done it on my rowboat, which I also only take out in mild weather. But I have had plenty of experience in going swimming from a dinghy.

I don't think I follow why the limber hole wouldn't be visible on the aft side of the bulkhead. Should there be a hole right through that bulkhead amidships to drain water from the forward compartment?
Tony

BGinNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BGinNC » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 am

I didn't want to put a hole through the forward bulk head. Just my preference. If I find it to be an issue, I can always add one later.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:06 am

I went with a different approach. All the bulkheads open, back one sealed with a hatch, and pool noodles for buoyancy. I added inflatable pontoons for fishing on lakes. It helps when a second person is moving around or if I want to stand to cast.

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:21 pm

Either your dagger board is backwards, or mine is. I do like the handle on top though. Boat looks nice, great color choice! :lol: