GV10 Stop and Start Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by MikeyGnz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:19 pm
I read where you cut things out with a jig saw. Any reason you did not use a curricular saw with a carbide blade? I have found the curricular saw does a far better job for me. And tons faster :D
At the time it was a matter of having metal cutting blades for the jigsaw but not the circular saw and wanting to do it on the cheap when the only aluminium cutting circular saw blades I could find were $120-150. Also my circular saw is 9 1/4" / 235mm diameter and I wasn't sure how well a blade this size would go round curves. I have since found a retailer that has more realistic prices ($45 for the same blade the other stores want $120-150 for) and have bought a multi-material TCT blade, works much better.

I'm not good at taking advice and tend to need to find out what not to do by doing it.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:40 pm

Jeff wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:53 pm
Nice work!! Jeff
tcason wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:23 pm
Looks great!!
Thanks Guys

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 pm

If your saw can take a 7 1/4 blade, or smaller, with a 16 tooth carbide blade it will walk right through aluminium.
It will go through solid glass just as well if you ever need it to.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:55 pm

No work on the boat this weekend. It was fathers day here in NZ and we had a jet boat club trip up a local river that I took Dad on.

My old boat that I would like to replace with an aluminium hull and lighter engine. This is a 4ish metre fibreglass hull with a Hamilton 753 3 stage jet unit driven by an old 250ci ford 6, all up weighs about a tonne.. I will be building an aluminium hull kitset if the GV10 shows my welding is up to scratch. With a modern engine and aluminium hull a boat the same length should be about 450kg, much easier to push when water is found to be too shallow.

Someone elses pic on the way up the river. Facebook link so I'm not sure if this will work.

Quick video of me in some easy water on the way upstream, another facebook link so again not sure if this will work.
https://www.facebook.com/michael.galamb ... 11394/?t=0

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:15 am

Back to the build. Got the hull all tacked together and started welding.

Reading up on how to prevent or minimise distortion everything I found says to do short welds to minimise heat input and hold parts well with a lot of tacks. I decided to put a tack in every 30mm, that way I can weld tack to tack on the keel, then do the same on each chine leaving each weld lots of cooling time while I am doing the other welds.

I started off welding tack to tack and there was no sign of distortion and did not seem to have a lot of heat input so I moved to doing two tacks then three tacks at a time. With three tacks there was no sign of distortion but the heat input was getting to the point where I didn't want to go to four tacks at a time. Got about 2 hours welding done then life called and had to hang up the helmet.

Just realised the photos don't really show it well but I got the keel and both chines welded from the transom forward about 1200mm.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 am

Nice, looks like the technique is working, so far. Looking good!
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Love this build!!!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Very nice looking welding! And no distortion :!:

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 pm

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Took Friday afternoon off work for some "me time" namely boat work. Chines, keel and front transom seams now all fully welded. I need to rebare the wooden stiffeners to give me room to weld aft transom then flip and weld inside. No photos, too busy working so far.