GV10 Stop and Start Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Post Reply
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 4156
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am
Location: St Helena Island, SC

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by Jaysen » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 am

Bogieman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 am
Just another example of how beer and the use of power tools don't mix :lol:
If you're putting them in a bowl yeah... but if you think about it, beer is the BEST way to get all the "help" to keep their hands off your build...
story time wrote:"Hey there! Nice to see you... you building a boat?"
"Hey Bob! Yeah, just working on some fairing."
"Cool! Hand me a thingy there and I'll help."
"That'd be great. But right now, why don't you grab a beer and and look something up on youtube for me."
And that's how MikeyGNZ saved his boat from Bob.
Boogie may get some practice with this technique shortly,


Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

User avatar
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:20 am
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Contact:

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by BB Sig » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:20 pm

That sucks about the garage power. The previous homeowners had run a 30 amp breaker to the pole barn using 12/2 over 70'. :x I swapped out to 8/3 and ran a 40 amp breaker. I also put a subpanel in the barn with 15 amps for the lights and 20 amps for tools. All wires in gray pvc. I hate cheap construction!

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by MikeyGnz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:00 am
Could you install something like this to protect the welder from surges?
https://www.smarthome.com/leviton-51120 ... essor.html
I hadn't thought of using a surge protector but have had a look after seeing this. The issue is with most appliances/plugs/sockets here being 10A it is hard to find one rated for 15A. Also the specs for most units say they protect against surges of 336V or more and I need to keep it below 275V at the absolute maximum.

The unit in your link is to protect a whole house from surges in the power supply external to the house. My surges are occuring within my house so I would probably be better off with a plug in one like this https://ampfibian.com.au/product/weathe ... r-s1000dx/

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by MikeyGnz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Bogieman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 am
Just another example of how beer and the use of power tools don't mix :lol:
Funny how beer improves dancing and pool skills but is a hindrance to DIY.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by MikeyGnz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:39 pm

BB Sig wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:20 pm
That sucks about the garage power. The previous homeowners had run a 30 amp breaker to the pole barn using 12/2 over 70'. :x I swapped out to 8/3 and ran a 40 amp breaker. I also put a subpanel in the barn with 15 amps for the lights and 20 amps for tools. All wires in gray pvc. I hate cheap construction!
Some people just don't understand that garages and barns are for building cool toys not just for parking in.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by MikeyGnz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 am
Bogieman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 am
Just another example of how beer and the use of power tools don't mix :lol:
If you're putting them in a bowl yeah... but if you think about it, beer is the BEST way to get all the "help" to keep their hands off your build...
story time wrote:"Hey there! Nice to see you... you building a boat?"
"Hey Bob! Yeah, just working on some fairing."
"Cool! Hand me a thingy there and I'll help."
"That'd be great. But right now, why don't you grab a beer and and look something up on youtube for me."
And that's how MikeyGNZ saved his boat from Bob.
Boogie may get some practice with this technique shortly,
Seeing the work people put into fairing I am so happy I am building in alloy and can fair with an angle grinder. No problems with helpers, once I start throwing UV with the welder or sparks with the grinder people tend to disappear.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by Bogieman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:07 pm

MikeyGnz wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 pm
Jaysen wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 am
Bogieman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 am
Just another example of how beer and the use of power tools don't mix :lol:
If you're putting them in a bowl yeah... but if you think about it, beer is the BEST way to get all the "help" to keep their hands off your build...
story time wrote:"Hey there! Nice to see you... you building a boat?"
"Hey Bob! Yeah, just working on some fairing."
"Cool! Hand me a thingy there and I'll help."
"That'd be great. But right now, why don't you grab a beer and and look something up on youtube for me."
And that's how MikeyGNZ saved his boat from Bob.
Boogie may get some practice with this technique shortly,
Seeing the work people put into fairing I am so happy I am building in alloy and can fair with an angle grinder. No problems with helpers, once I start throwing UV with the welder or sparks with the grinder people tend to disappear.
:D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 4156
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am
Location: St Helena Island, SC

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by Jaysen » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Bogieman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:07 pm
MikeyGnz wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 pm
Jaysen wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 am


If you're putting them in a bowl yeah... but if you think about it, beer is the BEST way to get all the "help" to keep their hands off your build...



Boogie may get some practice with this technique shortly,
Seeing the work people put into fairing I am so happy I am building in alloy and can fair with an angle grinder. No problems with helpers, once I start throwing UV with the welder or sparks with the grinder people tend to disappear.
:D
That means no one knows you have beer...
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

User avatar
Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by Netpackrat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Welders combined with residential wiring can cause weird things to happen. In my old shop, there was a gfci outlet in close proximity to where I used my tig welder. It wouldn’t always do it, but if I were welding light material or doing a lot of starts and stops and using the high frequency arc starting heavily, often as not the HF would trip the gfci and shut off the outlets on that side of the garage.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by MikeyGnz » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm

Welder repaired and will be restarting my restart this weekend. I hope to soon have something more 3D and less flatpack.

Looking at the welder repair the initial repair only replaced one diode on a circuit board and this second time the partner diode went so it may be nothing to do with the power after all and just that both diodes should have been repaired initially. We'll see how I go.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests