GV10 Stop and Start Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by MikeyGnz » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:23 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:09 pm
I am NOT a welder but one of the biggest problems I have seen is trying to weld thin plate and not have it distort.
That is exactly my problem. The distortion where I've welded the two halves of the bottom and side panels is real ugly. There are so many places where I would do it differently that I'm want to start over, my wallet is the only thing stopping me. I'll see how it goes but a few more stuff-ups and everything done so far may end up in the welding practice box.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:35 pm

Most of the home built aluminium skiffs around here are work boats. They use too heavy of plate so they can weld it and also take a ton of abuse. Aluminium can be great but it not the easiest stuff to work with.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:44 am

Welding light gauge aluminum is very difficult and the weld is almost never any where near as strong as the parent metal. That’s exactly why airplanes are riveted even though welding is quicker and cheaper and most light weight aluminum boats are a mixture of rivets and weld. Having said all that, if no one broke with tradition we wouldn’t have progress or inventions. I think you’re doing a great job and should keep going. All any of us can say is that our next boat will be better than this one :D .
Alan.

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:33 am

Fair WX Pilot wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:44 am
Welding light gauge aluminum is very difficult and the weld is almost never any where near as strong as the parent metal. That’s exactly why airplanes are riveted even though welding is quicker and cheaper and most light weight aluminum boats are a mixture of rivets and weld. Having said all that, if no one broke with tradition we wouldn’t have progress or inventions. I think you’re doing a great job and should keep going. All any of us can say is that our next boat will be better than this one :D .
That and most of the aluminum alloys used for primary structure in airplanes are not generally considered weldable. There are plenty of welded aluminum parts on airplanes in applications where the highest strength isn't required.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:29 pm

So after a bit more time looking at what I have completed so far and thinking I have decided to accept the horribly distorted welds in the front section and keep going with my current side and bottom panels.

BUT I have also decided that my frame construction is just going to cause issues in the long run and have decided to make new frames that are closer in design to what is shown on the plans. Got some more alloy last night and will make a start on the new frames this weekend.

Old frames will be cut up and used for some welding practice before I put torch to hull.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 am

Back to the build today.

Have marked out new frame panels and will cut tomorrow. I'll also be making a circular saw guide as discussed in another thread, I can't remember whose. No photos today because you've all seen marking out before. There will be some new photos tomorrow.

I had all the build photos in a facebook album and was linking them through to here but I notice all photos/links are broken except for the most recent post with photos. So I've just uploaded them all to a builders gallery here and redone all the links so the photos should all be visible again.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:02 am

Had a few chores this morning so didn’t get to spend as much time on the boat as I wanted.

I’ve got the mid frame marked out and ready to cut from MDF. I will be using this temporary mid frame for hull construction, then once the hull is all welded, I will measure up and install alloy frames 150mm fore and aft of the MDF frame to give me a fully boxed in buoyancy chamber.

Also shown is my circular saw guide copied from another builders’ posts. I have made mine double sided as I have 2 blades one for alloy and one for wood. The alloy blade is thinner so has a different offset from the centre guide rail.

Aft frame and transom knees cut. I have made the aft frame in multiple pieces so I have access to weld the joins of the transom knees and aft frame when assembled as shown in the second picture below. Once all in the boat this will give me two buoyancy chambers between the aft frame and the transom, one each side. Between the two will be an open area to allow for motor clamping and bilge drainage.

Next step is to do some more welding practice before starting final assembly. I need to have a play with pulse settings on my welder to hopefully minimise heat input and thus distortion.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:52 am

I'm fascinated with the work you're doing, thanks for posting your progress. Thanks also for going to the trouble to get the photos uploaded, good photos are valuable.
Hank

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:13 am

Yes, thanks for posting all of this. It will be an extremely valuable thread in the future for anyone who wants to convert one of the plywood designs into aluminum.

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Netpackrat wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:13 am
Yes, thanks for posting all of this. It will be an extremely valuable thread in the future for anyone who wants to convert one of the plywood designs into aluminum.
Since there has been no calculation behind the conversion to alloy and it is all gut feel and making it up as I go, I just hope it doesn't turn into a cautionary tale of how not to covert to aluminium.