Eastern NC SK-14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eastern NC SK-14

Post by pee wee » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:05 pm

BlackJack224 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:57 am
That was a chore. Used 5-6 different tools, including a laser cut “saw” I made Friday that actually worked pretty good on a few sections.
HaH! I looked at the photo of the saw and was thinking "that looks like a tool made for flush cutting foam"! "wonder where you go to buy one of those?" and "how much use would you get out of that?"

It didn't occur to me to think "I bet he laser cut that and made it special for the job"! Great stuff, your build is looking great! 8)

Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:43 pm

That there is some mighty fine foam work :wink:

BlackJack224
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BlackJack224 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:43 pm
That there is some mighty fine foam work :wink:
Thank you, sir. Probably spent way too much time on it, but it finished out nice.

BlackJack224
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BlackJack224 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:08 pm

C5C654C2-54E1-4AE4-8017-6012DEDC14F4.jpeg

BlackJack224
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BlackJack224 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Removed the weights at lunch and coated sole and deck with neat epoxy. Will glue up transom supports, inwale, Mount some hardware etc. will cut down my rubrails flat, then start fairing.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:33 am

Looks very nice and takes me back to mine at that stage. I like the big foredeck. What are your plans for power now? Mine supports 180 lb me behind the grab bar and the 50# battery and near 40# troll motor on the nose with no problem. The 5 hp propane Tohatsu gets it on plane too. She is tippy when you approach the bow ( I get on knees to drop the troll motor), but then I don't have a young man's balance any more.

You're closing in on the launch and looking fine.

Dougster

BlackJack224
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BlackJack224 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Dougster wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:33 am
Looks very nice and takes me back to mine at that stage. I like the big foredeck. What are your plans for power now? Mine supports 180 lb me behind the grab bar and the 50# battery and near 40# troll motor on the nose with no problem. The 5 hp propane Tohatsu gets it on plane too. She is tippy when you approach the bow ( I get on knees to drop the troll motor), but then I don't have a young man's balance any more.

You're closing in on the launch and looking fine.

Dougster
Dougster, I'm a bit heavier than you (250) but trimming down a bit :lol: I got a new Tohatsu 9.8 (80lbs) for power. Other than me, motor, and minimal gear, that's it. Trying to keep it simple and as agile as possible to compensate for my extra ballast!

larryasmin@gmail.com
New Poster
New Poster

Post by larryasmin@gmail.com » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:28 pm

Good afternoon All,

I have a question: My son and I are building our first SK14. If you look at the picture in this post which shows the fillet holding the pieces of the boat together, the fillet lines are uniform and quite small, maybe an inch wide, and no real bulk on top. We were more "generous" with the fillet and less uniform, and the lines aren't nearly as smooth, with some significant protrusions on top (not knowing how to do it otherwise. If there a way to smooth those down? Or is it even necessary?

Thanks,

Castaway

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:46 pm

larryasmin@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:28 pm
If there a way to smooth those down? Or is it even necessary?

Thanks,

Castaway
There are lots of ways to clean up an inside fillet, each person has their own preferences.
I like to use a tongue depressor..... I generously apply the fillet into the corner, and then pull the tongue depressor flat against the panel with the rounded corner into the fillet, then again with the depressor against the other panel, this makes a nice uniform fillet, maybe not perfect, but good enough for me. :)

BlackJack224
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BlackJack224 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:57 pm

narfi wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:46 pm
larryasmin@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:28 pm
If there a way to smooth those down? Or is it even necessary?

Thanks,

Castaway
There are lots of ways to clean up an inside fillet, each person has their own preferences.
I like to use a tongue depressor..... I generously apply the fillet into the corner, and then pull the tongue depressor flat against the panel with the rounded corner into the fillet, then again with the depressor against the other panel, this makes a nice uniform fillet, maybe not perfect, but good enough for me. :)
I do something very similar. I'm using EZ Fillet for most of them, and it mixes really well to just the right consistency. After I mix, I put it in a heavy duty ziploc from BBC, clip a corner of the bag, squeegee all of it down to that corner, and pipe the mix into the seam slightly larger than my intended finish size. Then, as Narfi says, use a rounded paint stir or tongue depressor to smooth over it while it's good and wet, before it starts to set up. I'll use a sharp putty knife to clean the edges good. Some folks use PVC pipe to shape the fillets, and they can always be sanded down smooth once they set up and cure.