SK14 in TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SK14 in TX

Post by AggieGirl » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks everybody for the nice comments. The deck is sanded down and epoxied to seal it. Attaching it tonight with epoxy/wood flour mix to the stringers. Does the deck normally get a layer of fiberglass?

Jeff, I adjusted the location of the stringers to make the front hatch area smaller and unfortunately, I hugely miscalculated the size hatch I could fit there. The hatch I ordered from BBC is going to have to go on the next boat build or on my dad's boat when he starts to build one. I'm digging the boat building so a reason to build another is pretty good... I need to catch some fish and shoot some ducks off this one first though!!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 am

Your build is going great!! Something tells me that hatch will find a good home in your family!!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:58 am

I think most or at least many of us glass the deck/sole. Guarantees against checking, guards against dings and scratches, and just feels good to me.

Dougster

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:27 am

A layer of lightweight fiberglass cloth, say 6 oz., will significantly improve the durability and abrasion resistance of the deck surface without much of a weight penalty. It will also add stiffness to the deck.

If you will be fishing and hunting out of the boat I would strongly encourage you to consider covering the deck with lightweight cloth.

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:04 pm

Deck is attached! Letting the fillet dry tonight and fiberglassing tomorrow. I know many builders do the fillet and fiberglass at the same time but I have had good luck doing them separately so I am sticking with it.

Here is a photo of the epoxy/wood flour on the stringers and the deck getting weighted down.
IMG-3923.jpg
IMG-3924.jpg

Here are photos of the fillet around the edge of the deck.
IMG-3931.jpg
IMG-3932.jpg

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:02 pm

Looks good!

Go with what works for you! Good plan. :D

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:22 am

With fillets that smooth a slight tough up sanding and you should be ready to go. A lot of times folks work is not that good and it takes a lot of sanding to prep for glass.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:43 am

Very nice work.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 am

Again, very nice work!!!! Jeff

AggieGirl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AggieGirl » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:00 pm

Keeping the momentum going and putting in boat work over this long weekend. Last night, I got some fiberglassing done on the deck. This morning the boat got flipped, the hull was sanded, and the seams have been epoxied. For the epoxy to the seams of the hull, I added the usual wood flour and some milled fiberglass to the mix with the intent of increasing the strength. I am really interested in how additives can be used to change the properties of the epoxy so I have been eager to add something to it.

Here are some photos. Fiberglass tape to edge of the deck.
IMG-3933.jpg
IMG-3934.jpg

Here is the flipped boat and work on the seams.
IMG-3938.jpg
IMG-3936.jpg
IMG-3937.jpg