OD18 build - Deale, MD

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: OD18 build - Deale, MD

Post by TomW1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:31 am

She is really looking nice. I really like my 70HP on my OD18.

Tom

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

JimDuck
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JimDuck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:38 am

Well, I know the design's rated for 40-70 hp, obviously, and the Chesapeake is the only body of water I'll probably use the boat on. Was thinking of splitting the difference and going with either a 50 or 60 hp. Haven't really settled on it yet, though. Once I get to that point, will probably post a query to get some input from other folks who've built one of these.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:08 am

I have a E-tec 60 on my OD18 and I'm very happy with it. Uses very little fuel and fully loaded with my 4 blade prop I can cruise about 26-28 mph, (I built my OD18 Heavy) with a different prop I can cruise at over 30 mph but I have to put on a whale tail to keep from porpoising, with the 4 blade the tail is not needed.

Completed: FL14, OD18

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 am

With two people and a little gear my OD18 runs in the low 20's with a 4-stroke 40hp. Loaded with a week's worth of gear, or three guys and gear, she's a real pig. I built it around the engine as I had it already. When I can, I want to put at least a 60hp on it. Like Larry, I built mine really fat, coming in at 900 pounds without the motor, batteries, and fuel. Built lighter and without all the "extras", this boat will run very nice with a 40hp as Jacques claims.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:36 am

I am in between Capeman and Larry B's dory with a 50hp 4-stroke. I am limited to 50 hp in my area or I would have more. My dory is a pig also. Totally rigged out including a kicker ready to fish she weighs 1740. Runs mid 20's. She runs pretty good with 3 men in her the lightest of them being 240#. The thing that really impresses me is even with 2 guys on the rail she is super stable.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:29 am

Fuzz wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:36 am
I am in between Capeman and Larry B's dory with a 50hp 4-stroke. I am limited to 50 hp in my area or I would have more. My dory is a pig also. Totally rigged out including a kicker ready to fish she weighs 1740. Runs mid 20's. She runs pretty good with 3 men in her the lightest of them being 240#. The thing that really impresses me is even with 2 guys on the rail she is super stable.
Fuzz, your still running about 100 lbs lighter than me :help:
Completed: FL14, OD18

JimDuck
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JimDuck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks a million for all the comments about motor/prop options and your experiences with speed/handling, gents. Very helpful.

I'm at the point now where I'll be starting the rigging in just a couple of days. Currently putting the 1x2 deck supports along the stringers and below decks cross supports. Since I've never installed a remote-control outboard on a boat before, I have some questions about the best way to run the rigging for the cables and fuel line between the motor well area and console plus the fuel tank (I'm figuring on placing the fuel tank up at the bow beneath the casting deck). I've looked at Cracker Larry's OD18 thread but none of the pictures he has there are displaying for some reason. So, if any of you guys could be so kind as to post some pics of how you handled your rigging to this thread so I can get some ideas, I'd really appreciate that. Of course, any comments on do's/don'ts would be great, too. I'm good with running the rigging/wiring for all the electrical and electronics. Mostly the cabling for a typical outboard I'm wondering about. And, if it makes any difference, I will indeed be putting flotation foam below decks.

Thanks in advance!
jd

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:33 am

JimDuck wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 am
I've looked at Cracker Larry's OD18 thread but none of the pictures he has there are displaying for some reason.
All the photos got deleted by accident years ago. CL said he still had the photos but wasn't going to take the time to replace them. I guess they're gone for good now.
Hank

cape man

Post by cape man » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Cracker's OD 18 was an inspirational build for sure. I was a few months behind him all the way through.

My build thread was no where near as neat as his, but there is some discussion and pics of the rigging process.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15874&start=310

Larry B's out in Arizona is another boat that was just behind us, and he did an excellent job documenting the process.viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20746&start=180

My best advice is use the largest conduit you can for all the runs, and use nothing but sweep elbows.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:30 pm

cape man wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 pm
My best advice is use the largest conduit you can for all the runs, and use nothing but sweep elbows.
By sweep elbows, those are electrical sweep elbows, must larger sweep than plumbing elbows.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.