Layout dreaming/designing (FS17)

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
silentneko
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Layout dreaming/designing (FS17)

Post by silentneko » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Exactly. So here is my last rendering. It's a little more simple maybe, the cooler is just strapped down in front of the deck. If I go this route I might build a custom cooler to match the deck height. This layout allows some additional flexibility and room for additional coolers when camping. With the near static load of the cooler up front the CG doesn't move around as much and the console is pushed back a bit more.

ImageFS17 Sample14a , on Flickr

I think I've narrowed it down to either this setup or the one I posted right before this one. I already figured out a way to make the oval livewell the way I want. I'm thinking about either building a window into it, or just use plexiglass for the lid.

Thoughts on all of it. I gotta get it figured out, it's near time to start.

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Silentneko, I like this layout best so far and your idea of a custom cooler is a great idea. Talk with Reid, he built one last year and it really keeps the Ice well. Also, completely up to you but I prefer the plexiglass top/door on a Bait well versus a window!! Either way will be great!! Again, it was nice to have met you last weekend and I look forward to following your future build!! Jeff

Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:22 pm

I’m installing the Taco Metals Neptune III leaning post in the FS19 that I’m building. The installation directions are to space it 12” from the console. That seemed too close to me, but when we put everything into the boat with the mocked up console I think we agreed that 13 or 14” was better than the 20” that we had originally planned. The console I’m building will also have a toe kick that is 3” high and 4” deep to provide even more foot room if needed when standing close to the console.

You may be able to gain 5 or 6 Inches that can be put elsewhere. I added those inches to the space behind the leaning post and to the rear casting deck. The rear casting deck now includes enough space for a livewell and baitwell and double as a fishing platform or seating area. The front casting deck was shortened also. It was extremely large for the boat. That space was added to the space in front of the cooler that is in front of the console to provide adequate foot room for people transiting in front of the cooler and/or for someone sitting on the cooler.

The console is relatively skinny in that is only about 24” deep. It is 48” tall and 30” wide at the base. (Not accounting for taper front to back and top to bottom)There is ample room for everything and still be able to walk around on each side.

Having said all this, I did everything you are doing prior to building the boat. Of course, once I started the build I had to redesign the console about five times to account for the realities of the layout. I also redesigned the front and rear casting deck and put the fuel tank under the sole, all of which required some movement of bulkheads both under and on top of the sole.

So, keep up the good work in laying everything out and incorporating the ideas from the different boats, but be flexible, you may have to alter some things along the way.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:30 pm

silentneko really like the new layout. There is only one problem that I see. That is with the fuel tank. It is illegal to put a portable tank under the deck. You can go with a below deck plastic or aluminum tanks For aluminum Speedy Tanks are highly recommended. Moeller makes good below deck tanks.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

silentneko
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Tom from my discussion with FWC a few years back when I built my current skiff, they said it was not legal to have a portable tank enclosed. They did however recommend it be hidden from the sun under a deck or seat, as long as it had plenty of ventilation available. That being said I need to really sit down and calculate out how much true volume I'll have down below the sole. I may go with a below deck model, but as discussed in an other thread I'd might need the fill to come up and out the console to be truly useful.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 pm

We are talking the same thing. Just calculate cubic inches and divide by 231 to get gallons and your set. You can go with different shaped tanks with Speedy to maximize your volume. A belly tank or v-hull tank both add extra gallons over a rectangular tank. See http://www.speedytanks.com/

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

silentneko
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Browndog, I'll have to check out some pics when you get the leaning post installed. I was figuring on 17" but left room for adjustment. My console will have a toe kick as well. I wear a size 15 2E shoe so I'll need the room.

I'll need to adjust some things on the fly when the time comes. I might wait to figure out the gas tank until after the stringers are in.

Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:05 pm

About two months ago when my brother was visiting, we put the leaning post in the boat with a mock-up of the console and dry fit all the sole pieces and bulkheads to take measurements. You can see all of the pictures on my build thread, but for convenience, I’ll post a couple for you to look at now. My brother is 6’ 3” tall and everything is laid out for it to be comfortable for him to drive the boat while sitting or standing. The cooler in front of the console is a Fatboy 75 Qt., the one under the leaning post is a Fatboy 45 Qt. Cooler. To give you an idea on walking space around the console, the gunnels will be 8 inches wide, which bring them in to about where the sole and the hull meet. Hope this helps you to visualize your design.

silentneko
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:07 pm

I must have missed those as I was looking at your build lately. Good idea mocking up the console. Looking at those pics it puts into perspective just how much larger the FS19 is over the 17. I'm 6'3" as well, but I don't know exactly how I want the steering arranged just yet so I might need to adjust again.

silentneko
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Hey Browndog, I know you raised the sole height a little, but how tall did your stringers end up in total? And how big did your tank end up?

I have a request in for a quote from speedy tanks. However, I don't know if I can swallow the price tag. The portable tank is just under $100 for a 12-gallon. Yes the below deck will give me some more room and move a little weight lower, but I don't think ill be fitting much more fuel.