OD18 - NH Technical Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD18 - NH Technical Questions

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:10 pm

I used 6oz on the inside of my dory. Other than it fighting you a little to get it to lay down smooth it worked real well. I think it would work just fine for what you want.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:34 pm

Jacques said it best. No Dynel . The best would be the 6oz biax IMHO. You will get nick and rubs on the paint from the anchor and chain. I have an 8 year old OD18 and all I do is touch up the paint. Don't have a rub anywhere else.

Good luck on your build.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:07 am

Good question, but now that I have built my boat I can say stuff like, "Don't over think things"!

Overdrill - double the diameter of the screws you are going to use, fill with epoxy/woodflour and fit your trim tabs. They will be just fine!

How do I know? It's unlikely that your trim tabs will be subjected to greater forces than mine - and they are just fine!

As for glassing the sides - use 6 oz biax.

topwater

Post by topwater » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:41 am

Don't know why you guys are knocking Dynel so bad , it has better abrasion resistant than glass . He is not looking to
strengthen any thing just looking for abrasion resistance . As far as fairing goes you just hit it with a loose slurry of
fairing compound and it will fill the weave as easy as glass plus you don't ich when you sand it and it wets out easily .
But this is just my opinion .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am

Thanks Everyone, I have gone with 6oz cloth above the spray rail which is a little heavier than I wanted but also matches the inside so helps with the material list. Thanks for the comments.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi Everyone, I am getting ready to purchase the trim tabs for my boat as I have to drill and fill the mounts before the next part of the build. I am torn between Lenco Marine electric tables and Bennett Marine hydraulic tabs. Both companies have tabs that will physically fit and look like they will both work fine.

Does anyone have experience with these products or could suggest choosing one over the other? Thanks.
Alan.

Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:11 am

I have both Lenco and Bennett tabs on different boats. The Lenco tabs are easier to install unless you get the electric Bennet tabs. The Lenco controls also seem to be nicer. Electric tabs require less maintenance and take up less room in the boat. The performance is comparable. On my brothers boat I'm installing the Lenco tabs with the integrated LED control switch.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:22 am

Browndog wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:11 am
I have both Lenco and Bennett tabs on different boats. The Lenco tabs are easier to install unless you get the electric Bennet tabs. The Lenco controls also seem to be nicer. Electric tabs require less maintenance and take up less room in the boat. The performance is comparable. On my brothers boat I'm installing the Lenco tabs with the integrated LED control switch.
I have Bennett hydraulic tabs on my boat cause that's what Cracker Larry told me to install when I asked the same question as you have. I have been very happy with them up until one recently jammed! Now I have to replace the hydraulic ram. No big deal I guess.

My mates have Lenco and swear by them.

So basically - I dunno!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 am

Both Bennett & Lenco are good products. I don't think you will go wrong with either brand. Jeff

cape_fisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:31 pm

Both good companies with great products. Get whatever you can get the better deal on.