LB26 Cloth Orientation

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
tedacrouse
New Poster
New Poster

LB26 Cloth Orientation

Post by tedacrouse » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 am

I have applied 2 layers of cloth to the bottom according to the lamination schedule. I have laid down the cloth width-wise (not length-wise) but I did so by just rolling out the cloth and laying it down. I did not take into account orientation. Therefore I have 1 layer of CB1708 and 1 layer of CM1808 completed but rolled out and directly laid down across the bottom (not oriented length-wise).

I have done at least 2" overlaps on all joins.

Can you let me know if I can proceed to the 3rd layer (CB1708) of which I will lay out length-wise in full sheets (to correct the issue of orientation at least on this final layer). Will this be ok? I don't want to add additional weight by laying down an extra CM1808 length-wise but is it needed in order to provide necessary length-wise stability and strength?

Thank you for your assistance,
Ted

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: LB26 Cloth Orientation

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:00 pm

The fibers in biaxial are oriented at 45 degree angle to the direction unrolled. If you look closely; the direction if the fibers is essentially the same running long or wide.

Strength is actually added when you turn the fibers at say 30 degree adjustments.

However, it is best to always follow the build schedule.

If you go look closely at your glass and turn it 90; you’ll realize no difference.

If you were using triaxial; you’d have erred.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

tedacrouse
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tedacrouse » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Ok thanks. I just wondered about the 0/90 (as I assumed as much for the 45/45).

Appreciated!

Ted

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Is the 1808 0/90?

I am not sure about that one. If the fibers are the same size; you should be okay. If the running fibers are bigger; this would be wrong.

As far as I know the fibers are equals, but only sure with a tds. Any product you put into the boat ought to have a tds (technical datasheet).

The 0 strands are supposed to go to the outside as well, or the inside on the inside according to everything I know and the 0s are also supposed to run the long way, in general terms.

To be the most sure; check with Jacques, but I think you are fine.

And even if you ran the 0 strands wrong(under the 90s), I don’t think it merits changing anything.

If you look inside the hull of the boat and were looking at the 1808; if you were looking at the strands and saw the strands running the long way; that is preferred, but most people don’t worry about fiber orientation enough. If you were looking at the 1808 and the strands were running beam; they would technically be wrong from my understanding.

Clear as mud?

I still think you are fine.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495