LM 18 First Time Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Colemanfire
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: LM 18 First Time Build

Post by Colemanfire » Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 am

Hey Tom,

I have been in contact with Jeff about a Bob's jack plate. I was just measuring the motor clamp mounts, and was trying to get some insight before I ordered it. I think I have seen some where on here that some one mounted a jack plate system but could not go down all the way because of the clamps hitting the transom.

The motor is a 30 HP Suzuki 4 stroke tiller with trim and tilt it's a 20" shaft. it has the clamp on mounts and also has the bolt on plate with 4 holes.

I guess my first question is I have the motor on a stand using the clamps, do I trim the motor all the way down and take a measurement from the clamp the ventilation plate, and then measure from the keel up to that measurement and that will be where the motor will sit on the jack plate? and will that be with the jack plate all the way down? so that I have adjustment up from the bottom of the keel only or do I need to split the adjustment height?????????

I do plan on putting a 4 blade prop on it. I get guess the next thing I need to get is the tach.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi Colemanfire. First get rid of the clamps and use the 4 hole mounting plate. Then mount the Bob's per it's instructions I believe it will say at the top of the transom. Then mount the motor using the mounting plate to the Bob's. This should put the ventilation plate within an inch of the keel. You never want to lower the ventilation below the keel on a planing boat. Mounting like this will allow you the max lift height of the Bob's.

Did your Suzuki come with a prop. If so use it to break in your motor and then we can calculate what 4 blade you will need.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 am

Questions for you, are you building the standard version, tunnel or low sheer version?

Is the round chine cuts something you can add/do?
IMG_1139.JPG
(88.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
FS14, getting wet soon.... LM18 (Laguna Madre Skiff 18). Plans, plywood and supplies, in hand. Late summer build 2018/19 build, This is a beautiful designed boat.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Capt UB,

John is building the first LM18 Standard Sheer, Round Chine with no tunnel option. John got the CNC kit. We are able to cut slits in the hull panels in order to achieve the rounded chine. Frames A and B are also rounded over in order to allow the hull panels to curve appropriately.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Reid wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 pm
Capt UB,

John is building the first LM18 Standard Sheer, Round Chine with no tunnel option. John got the CNC kit. We are able to cut slits in the hull panels in order to achieve the rounded chine. Frames A and B are also rounded over in order to allow the hull panels to curve appropriately.

Reid
Thanks Reid. I do like the round and the flat (?) chine. Round does look like a lot of work!
FS14, getting wet soon.... LM18 (Laguna Madre Skiff 18). Plans, plywood and supplies, in hand. Late summer build 2018/19 build, This is a beautiful designed boat.

Wesleynowlen
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Wesleynowlen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm

I'm so jealous right now. I've had my LM18 plans for a year now. Haven't yet made the initial material purchase due to other things popping up. Anyways, I can't wait to see one finished. You're doing a great job!!

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:37 pm

fishgitr wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:58 am
I knock down all the roughness sticking up. Don't do too much. Then I use a roller and roll on fairing to fill all the weave. Usually three times.
Great Idea on rolling out the fairing mix.

Colemanfire
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Colemanfire » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Capt UB,

Sorry I didn't get back with you, I have not checked the forum in a while. Reid is correct on the build I did order the rounded chine version. this is my first time build and I thought the round chine was going to be a lot harder than it was. actually fairly easy just a little longer. If you wanted to build the rounded chine version build it. I think you will always wish you had. This forum and the guys at Builder Central are so very helpful, I would even venture to say if you really need major help, it would be nothing for a member to make a trip to help you out. I've always said Jeff and Reid will not let a build fail.

If you have any questions just private message me and I will give you my number

Sorry once again for taking so long to respond

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Hello John.

The round chine is a nice look.... A bit scary looking to build!

The LM18 I'm getting is the low sheer, non round chine. I'm buying it from someone who bought and is not able to build it. Things happen in ones life.... Anyway, he cut a good deal. Will most likely start it after the summer is over. I'm just finishing a FS14. The FS14 is a nice looking boat, but found I want to build the Classic 17. Then the LM18 popped up! The FS14 for the river and the LM18 for the Lagoon.

I don't have a trailer for the LM18, but it does comes with a 30 hp.

I'm going to pick your brain about your trailer later.

Thanks and keep posting those photos.
Bob.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:09 am

Capt UB great choice on the LM18. Finish it well and you will have most of your cost for your C17. :D Or keep for areas the C17 can't go. :D d

Regards,

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.