Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by joe2700 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am

thb wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:55 am
Sea tow guy told my buddy that most tow ins are boats with either Yami or Merc. I would not want either
I have my own opinions about those 2 brands but I will say they are by far the most common on manufactured boats around here. Even if they were the most reliable they would still make up most of the tow ins if they are on most boats to begin with.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 am

thb wrote:

Do you Sea Tow in Alaska or some similar service to rescue boaters whose engines quit?

Regards
Tom
If you are missing a day or so people will come looking.
Most of the lake is under the flight path of our air taxi so a small plane will fly overhead several times a day, they might notice if you are in distress.
Times are obviously quicker if using something like SPOT or inreach.

I am aware all the parts will cost more, but that's true for any choice I make right?

Lots of Mercurys around here, I have no brand loyalty, but dont think that one new motor is more likely to be a lemon than the next brand of the big names.

There is a lot to read between the lines in statistics.
I could also say that all the 4wheelers I've seen broken down here were made by Honda.(4wheelers have traditionally been the main mode of transportation for families in this area) That doesnt mean Honda makes crappy 4wheelers, it means they are held in such high regard that they are the only brand people feel are worth the $1per pound it takes to get anything out here.

Edit: oops didnt see Joe's comment while I was typing, looks like he said the same thingish.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:43 pm

I agree completely. If more yamaha's are used in an area you'll see more of them at the service center. More mercs.......

The parts costing more will vary greatly by brand and dealers. Basspro discounts mercs to sell them, then hits you on the back end. Yamaha thinks their controls are made of gold. Honda isn't bad, but the motors cost more up front......

The biggest factor I've found is the size of the dealer. If it's a volume dealer you can talk them down a lot. A smaller dealer has limited inventory alloted to them so they can't discount.

As an example if memory serves international marine, huge volume dealership, quoted me $7100 for the zuke 60hp. That's fully rigged, digital guage, a custom lexan cover for the ignition of my choice, and stainless steel prop that can be exchanged. This requires me to drive 2.5 hours away.
The 2 local dealers quoted me $9500 and $8700 with basic rigging, and an aluminum prop, and no wet test.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm

And those 2 locals have stranded shipping costs to recover (with interest) as well as higher labor costs (remote market). Add that too the volume and the local guys are never going to be as competitive in straight price comparison. Hopefully the locals can make up a bit in service. Although the no wet test ... that seems like an easy win for the locals.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:22 pm

thb wrote:
Narfi,

Sea tow guy told my buddy that most tow ins are boats with either Yami or Merc. I would not want either and very good point about controls, tach, prop adding substantial $ to the deal.

Do you Sea Tow in Alaska or some similar service to rescue boaters whose engines quit?

Regards
Tom
Like Narfi said Sea Tow or others like them are not available here. There are a couple of places where Seatow has started up. I think this is their first year. For me a stand alone kicker is mandatory. And that kicker gets run at the start of every trip. No point in having one if you do not know for sure it will run if needed.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Just don't be me and drop the kicker in the drink after starting it. There's a reason I don't like motors.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:26 pm

I am familiar with Garmin, but I also know they are overpriced and leverage lawyers to stay overpriced.

Raymarine - $730-1400 for 7 or 9 in screens - confusing about what their different transducer technologys are
https://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-Finder ... ducer&th=1

Garmin - $1000 for a 7in screen, dont think it includes a transducer
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-ClearVu-T ... min+GPSMAP

Humminbird - $1000 for a 7in screen not clear on what if any transducer is included

Simrad GO7 - $700 for a 7in screen and TotalScan transducer
https://www.amazon.com/Simrad-Chartplot ... +totalscan

Simrad GO9 - $1100 for a 9in screen with TotalScan transducer
https://www.amazon.com/Simrad-GO9-Sonar ... simrad+go9

So..... not knowing anything about any of them,
the Simrad appears to give a little more for the dollar
the garmin gives a name i know
the humminbird comes in the ugliest package
the raymarine may be same value as the simrad but is more confusing.....

What sonar do I 'need', which of them has a better value for maps and user interfaces once it is purchased and installed?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Narfi, I bought a Garmin about 4 years ago and have been really happy with it. If I were to replace it, I would take a strong look at the Simrad. Simrad is almost as popular with the Florida fisherman and I think gaining a lot of ground quickly!! Just my thoughts!! Jeff

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:30 pm

The Simrad go7 is #2 on my list if I go with an nmea2k compatable unit. After a lengthy discussion on another board I was directed to the Lowrance Elite 7 ti. It's the best of the budget units, slightly better then the go7, and has some physical buttons, which become a bonus in the rain.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Just my opinion but where you will be using that boat there is no need to spend a bunch of money for electronics. I like all the fancy stuff myself but I want the most needed bang for my buck. That being said there are units that give you depth, speed and location for under $150.