Panel Rise

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
rbecker08
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Panel Rise

Post by rbecker08 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 am

Good morning I believe I have my panels all in place for glue up but had one area of concern. The bottom panels have an upward angle to the, I believe this is due to the panels floating off the frames forward of the transom. Is this something to worry about or should we move ahead. Thanks Rich
20181205_215152.jpg
20181205_215346.jpg
On a side note they are flat just angled up, I can also flatten the angle out by adding 1/4" to the transom if needed.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Panel Rise

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:53 am

Does it all string straight?

Sheer?
Chine?
Keel?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

rbecker08
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rbecker08 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 am

Yup the level is flat within the 1/4" target at all areas just angled up at the keel.
fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:53 am
Does it all string straight?

Sheer?
Chine?
Keel?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:53 pm

I don't understand the problem. If there is a problem, I will help but what are we talking about?
". . .have an upward angle to the,". . . part of the sentence is missing.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm

BTW, please keep questions together in the same thread or at least mention the boat name.
I think this is a FS17 low sheer, the one that had a transom angle problem last week. It looks like that problem is solved, good.

I am still trying to understand what the question is. The panels look good and fair in the picture. Is this about a gap between the jig frame and the bottom panels?

rbecker08
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rbecker08 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:04 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm
BTW, please keep questions together in the same thread or at least mention the boat name.
I think this is a FS17 low sheer, the one that had a transom angle problem last week. It looks like that problem is solved, good.

I am still trying to understand what the question is. The panels look good and fair in the picture. Is this about a gap between the jig frame and the bottom panels?
FS17ls, sorry I have them in different threads since they are different problems. My question is about the keel, if you look at it relative to the cabinets in the background it has an angle to it. It is straight but not flat, I am not sure if that is an issue I need to address.

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Rbecker,

I think you're good to go. If your cabinets are level and your baseline is parallel to the cabinets then your keel should get higher as it goes forward from the transom. You can look at the plans where it shows how to cut the frames/molds to get the dimensions

Don't worry if the panels don't touch the molds,the purpose of the molds is more about where the panels don't go than where they do go.

Chuck

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:59 am

Build it.

It'll be great. Try see if a ratchet strap pulls it down with some gentle ratcheting without twisting elsewhere. If so, wire it in better.

Stitch n glue does not have the precision of building on stations. I deal with precision questions everyday on my build. Makes for some anxiety.

You have to set your own tolerances and they must be rational. It can be the hardest part of amateur building.

Even pro builders make the call on quality all day.

I worked for Andersen Windows, a high quality window builder. A few times I witnessed inspection pow wows with a pile of inspectors. The final question is always the same. Will it fail in service?

Best of luck!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:25 pm

rbecker08 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:04 pm
My question is about the keel, if you look at it relative to the cabinets in the background it has an angle to it. It is straight but not flat, I am not sure if that is an issue I need to address.
As long as it is straight, it does not have to be flat. Keep going.

rbecker08
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rbecker08 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:31 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:59 am
Build it.

It'll be great. Try see if a ratchet strap pulls it down with some gentle ratcheting without twisting elsewhere. If so, wire it in better.

Stitch n glue does not have the precision of building on stations. I deal with precision questions everyday on my build. Makes for some anxiety.

You have to set your own tolerances and they must be rational. It can be the hardest part of amateur building.

Even pro builders make the call on quality all day.

I worked for Andersen Windows, a high quality window builder. A few times I witnessed inspection pow wows with a pile of inspectors. The final question is always the same. Will it fail in service?

Best of luck!
Well stated on setting tolerances, that is what I am struggling with. I know it causes lots of issues if I am not in tolerance while getting these panels set, I am envisioning purposing with passengers being flung over the sides. Okay a little extreme but you get the picture. We'll start tacking everything in place tomorrow as always thanks for the info.