Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21 **Jacques**

Post by Eric1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 pm

So much is changing with my life. Signed a contract for purchase of my building and real estate today.
I'm still trying to sell the last of our equipment. Buyer wants an empty building so I hope I can find a home for the machines.
I haven't gotten a great deal done in the boat. I'm just prepping her for the trailer I ordered.
I did glass the bow pad with three layers of 12oz. tape, I hope that sufficient.
I had to order new stern eyes as the first ones were too short. all of that is corrected now.

I am widening my driveway for the move home. Since the boat will be outside I want to add limber holes so that collected water can drain.
Can you recommend a size? I was thinking 1/2". How close to the bottom of the stringers should I go? I've also thought of gluing in small pieces of PVC
to seal the wood. Is that a good idea? I will be sealing the voids with foam later in the build. I just think this is a good idea since the boat has to be outside during the rest of the build.

Thank Eric

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 pm

Have you thought about just getting a boat cover? All the epoxy that is exposed to sun light will need protection too till it is painted. I got Academy's cheapest before heading up to Chicago to bring my hull back to Houston. The cheapest one Academy sales made the trip with speeds up to 80mph.
A lot of the review whine about the fabric breaking down after a few years but you can get a UV protectant spray to make it last a long time. I use the stuff on my personal PFDs.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine ... atid=11200
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:10 pm

That bow eye looks both good and plenty stout. Not sure how much wind and rain you get there but what ever you use to cover the boat needs to be easy to put on and take off. If not you will skip doing short jobs as it is not worth the effort needed to remove the cover.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:59 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 pm
Have you thought about just getting a boat cover? All the epoxy that is exposed to sun light will need protection too till it is painted. I got Academy's cheapest before heading up to Chicago to bring my hull back to Houston. The cheapest one Academy sales made the trip with speeds up to 80mph.
A lot of the review whine about the fabric breaking down after a few years but you can get a UV protectant spray to make it last a long time. I use the stuff on my personal PFDs.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine ... atid=11200
Yes, That's the plan. I've never owned one that water didn't somehow get past it though.
Fuzz wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:10 pm
That bow eye looks both good and plenty stout. Not sure how much wind and rain you get there but what ever you use to cover the boat needs to be easy to put on and take off. If not you will skip doing short jobs as it is not worth the effort needed to remove the cover.
Thanks Friend. We get a lot at times. Pouring today and tomorrow as well as yesterday.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 am

The bow eye is fine for securing the boat on the trailer.

For the cover, many of our builders have used those temporary garage/shelters. You will have to change the canvas every 2 or 3 years but it is cheap compared to renting a spot. A cover over some bows cost even less if you don't mind removing it each time. The canvas will last a couple years.

For the limber holes in the finished hull, you only need them to drain wet lockers which are rare. For example, to drain a center line wet box, I would make them 2 or 3" diameter.
To drain during construction is another matter. You can skip them if you have a good tarp but if you want them, make them as small as possible like 1/2" and flush with the bottom. I hate to drill or cut through the fiberglass in that spot, I would not drill any hole and just be careful with the tarp.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:30 pm

If you are going to limber and keep them. Consider overboring and filling and reboring.

Too nice a boat to get rot via limbers.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:30 pm
If you are going to limber and keep them. Consider overboring and filling and reboring.

Too nice a boat to get rot via limbers.
That's a good tip.

I decided to go ahead with these. They are temporary and will be filled and glassed prior to finishing the sole.
I went with small 3/8" holes and have coated them with epoxy thickened with silica.