Hard Spots

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Pegleg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hard Spots

Post by Pegleg » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:25 pm

I am building the PH16 and have a question about hard spots when fitting the stringers and bulkheads. I have been able to get the bulkheads to float (for lack of a better term) in the hull fairly well. But the stringers are so long that when I sand out one hard spot, another one shows up at a different area. I have read that some folks used small spacers to lift the bulkheads/stringers up just a tad. If I do this, do I then just fill in under the stringers with epoxy putty before I glass? How large of a spacer should I use? If I go this way, I may also have uneven stringers at the top but I could use the glueing cleats to straighten these out. Or, am I going over board (ha, ha) on trying to eliminate all the hard spots?

Thanks!

Pegleg

:help:

Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Yoda » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:43 pm

It's much better to have a gap to fill with thickened epoxy than to have wood against wood. As I understand the wood can expand with damp air and then shrink. Wood against wood can cause a joint to fail. If I don't have it right someone else will. :)

ArcticBuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ArcticBuilder » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:44 pm

Thats what I have heard also, Yoda.

Toothpicks make good spacers. :)

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:19 pm

I used finish nails for spacers while "spot welding" the stringers/bulkheads to the hull on my ph18. I removed the nails after the welds cured.

It was quite a process. I used a lot of fillet material.

Where are the pictures of your build? I hope you're taking some.

Steve

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:25 pm

I just found your gallery. http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... &cat=13250

Excellent. Any recent pictures?

Pegleg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pegleg » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:09 pm

Thanks for the replies! I like the suggestions of toothpicks and finishing nails . . . I will probably use the finishing nails since I have them on hand. This project has been slow go and I feel like I am not making a lot of progress due to limited amount of time I have to work on it. So, I have not been as diligent at taking pictures as I should have. I think I have a couple though that I will dig up off the camera (or disk, or computer, or where are they???). I have completed the bottom and flipped her. I have the spray rails on but not faired yet. I finished glassing the inside and I am now working on the stringers and bulkheads. This has been over the course of about a year.

Thanks again for the help!

Rusty

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:22 pm

I forget in whose book I read this, Maybe Dan Casey's book, but the suggestion was to use a thin strip of pvc foam along the stringers to avoid hard spots. I did this on one boat and it worked fine.
Daddy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:48 am

Popsicle sticks, or any other thin piece of wood can be left in. I use the wood mixing sticks sometimes. I also have a million little slivers of Divinycell (PVC foam) that make for nice spacers.

Joel

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:23 pm

Daddy wrote:I forget in whose book I read this, Maybe Dan Casey's book, but the suggestion was to use a thin strip of PVC foam along the stringers to avoid hard spots. I did this on one boat and it worked fine.
Daddy
That is the best way to do it and we show that on all our plans for larger boats. It is listed in all textbooks about fiberglass.
For most of our small boats, it is overkill to use a foam strip. As long as there is no hard spots, gaps can vary and be filled with putty.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

JGB
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JGB » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:59 pm

shine wrote:Popsicle sticks, or any other thin piece of wood can be left in. ...
Hopefully someone can clarify this for me. If a small piece of wood contacts both the bottom panel and the stringer wouldn't this act the same as a hard spot?