LB Clamping boards

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:37 pm

Thanks Jacques, it's quite helpful to be able to ask these amateur's questions.
The nesting diagram is plan number B234/2. This shows two clamping boards cut from single sheet of 1/2" ply called for in the BOM list. The top one looks a bit smaller to my eye. The Frames and Expanded Plates, diagram D234/5 shows the one clamping board and says "two" required. The top camber of this one board is dimensioned in the D234/5 plan sheet, but not so the bottom, which aslo appears to have a slight camber. I can find no reference to"clamping boards" in the building notes. I'm assuming they are reinforcement for clamping the motor on the transom and are to be glued together. Is that so? The Assembly Diagram, B234/2 shows what looks like a thick piece against the transom. I want to know if I got it right so far, and if I'm supposed to cut them later and scribe the bottom to fit, therefor not including them in the jig.

Hoping I'm explaining my question well Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:39 pm

Oh, and yes this is the LB22

Douster

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:16 am

Dougster wrote:Thanks Jacques, it's quite helpful to be able to ask these amateur's questions.
The nesting diagram is plan number B234/2. This shows two clamping boards cut from single sheet of 1/2" ply called for in the BOM list. The top one looks a bit smaller to my eye. The Frames and Expanded Plates, diagram D234/5 shows the one clamping board and says "two" required.
The transom assembly, the inside one, the true one, the one on which we mount the motor, is made of three parts:
- the full size transom, dimensions of the outline on D234/4. dimensions for the motorwell cut on D234/5
- two layers of plywood that we call the clamping board, dimensions on D234/5.
The 3 pieces are epoxy glued together, use the baseline to align.
The two clamping board parts are the same size: we give only one set of dimensions. The nesting drawing only shows the layout, there are no dimensions but it's true that they look different. I have no idea why my drafter did that but you can't go wrong.

The top camber of this one board is dimensioned in the D234/5 plan sheet, but not so the bottom, which aslo appears to have a slight camber.
What is "this one board"? The clamping board?
In that case, there is no camber at the bottom.

I can find no reference to"clamping boards" in the building notes. I'm assuming they are reinforcement for clamping the motor on the transom and are to be glued together. Is that so? The Assembly Diagram, B234/2 shows what looks like a thick piece against the transom. I want to know if I got it right so far, and if I'm supposed to cut them later and scribe the bottom to fit, therefor not including them in the jig.

Hoping I'm explaining my question well Dougster
That was answered above: the construction drawing in profile shows the thickness of the transom assembly with the clamping board.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:43 pm

Ok I think I'm on track. The board I referred on the camber question is the clamping board (two). The bottom looks like a camber to me in the D234/5 layout, but if you say so, I'll just cut it straight. It seems like the clamping boards should reach down to the hull and be epoxy/taped there. Whichever way it goes, should I glue up the transom (I mean the true one, with the motor on it) to the two clamping boards as I assemble the jig? Or should I wait to put on the two clamping boards after I turn the hull over and do the transom and bottom panel cuts for the motor? I'm dense on this but feel a need to get the jig right from the get go.

Thanks for the support,

Might actually cut a piece of wood someday Dougster :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:02 pm

How you assemble is up to you.
I prefer to glue the clamping boards to the transom, get the whole thing together before setting up. You'll do a better job that way.

About the camber, there is none. I am worried about this confusion.
To cut the clamping, first cut the transom and use it as a template.
Imagine that the clamping board is the same part as the transom but with the top cut straight at 15" above the baseline.
We show the transom outline on the clamping board drawing as a reference, a guide. It's a thin line. The clamping board that you cut is the thick line.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:48 pm

Ah yes, it becomes clear to me. Of course, use the transom as reference and cut the clamping boards to fit, so it's like one strong piece to support the weight and thrust of the motor. Thanks so much, I wanted this to be more clear in my head. I just got through cutting the strongbacks (2' by 8's) for the jig so I'll try and get moving. Which means more dumb questions soon I guess :oops: Any lurkers on this site should notice the help a beginner is getting here. I know of no other such opportunity.

Grateful Dougster

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:57 pm

Get cutting and take a bunch of pictures!

I would really like to build a LB22 some day and I can't wait to see one hit the water.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:36 pm

Thanks Jeremy, so would I! I figure this is gonna take me a long time, especially since I barely know what I'm doing. Still, one step at a time and, yeah, I'll take pics as I go along. Makes it more fun.

Dougster