Two boats sharing one motor?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Robertk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robertk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:52 pm

If you have a set of controls, steering and wiring harness on each boat it shouldn't be "that" hard. I bought a small shop crane for about $150 to use with repairing engines (2 ton and can lift 96" high). I can generally remove an engine (± 1 hour) and install a jack plate (another hour) and fiddle with the wiring and relays (another 2 hours) so a half day tops. To remove say a 200 HP Yamaha from one boat and hang it on another one (that it has been on before) should be only an hour or so.

Robertk

Best regards,
Robert

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Wear and tear comes in when you are attaching and detaching 200lbs of outboard. That's a little different than a 70lb outboard on a car topper. I had one hell of a time manhandling my yammie 40 onto my OB15 with my brother helping without scratching up the transom in the process because of the way we had to position it on the end of the control cable rod. There's no way in hell I would want to be doing that all the time. It can be done, but it won't be fun without a roof winch or maybe an engine lift. Unless you are 6-4 and 250, it might be pretty tough to do it yourself if you need to. Just my advice.
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Granted, its doable, and with a modicum of difficulty.

Lifting a motor from an LB22 is VERY different from just pulling a motor off. Keep in mind he is specifying a design which has a well mounted outboard. This well is a fully enclosed well that does not have much room to pull the motor out from below, so it must be raised to a point above the decks of the boat while it sits on the trailer.

The rest is simple in theory.

As with anything, we all have opinions. Rob asks, we provide. My personal opinion is given the price point of a 40hp 4 stroke for the LB22, and the price point for a little 2-smoker 35 on craigslist or ebay, why not just have two motors?

E

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:27 pm

I think the motor well on the LB22 is the real deal breaker on the engine swap idea.

As far as my LB22 project goes,and this is a little selfish on my part,I really want to hear the results of the first LB22 sea trial before I jump in.

I envision the LB22 as a very efficient and elegant alternative to a small pontoon boat,which the lakes around here are full of.

As of now I'm finishing my "make all the mistakes the first time" boat.My last lesson learned is the fact that angle grinders were surely put on this earth by the Almighty to help we who are aflicted to lighten our load.

Rob

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:29 am

Rob, while the first wont be done until at least June, there is another boat to look at for proof of design.

It has many similarities to the Atkin Ninigret. I was going to build the Atkin design when I saw JMM's boat here and opted for it. Here is a boat that has been trialed with great results. Its a Ninigret with a slightly broadened bow, and a little more flare (oddly enough, the guy had Iain Oughtred himself draw up the changes!).

http://www.viking-boats.com/page4.htm

Should give you what you are looking for, and make you willing to jump in the fray! I talked with the owner, he loves that boat.

E