Show us your scuppers.

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Show us your scuppers.

Post by Spokaloo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:34 pm

I need to see how people are doing their scuppers. It seems like there are several different ways, so I wanted to start a scupper thread. Jacques has penned some monster side scuppers, but I wanted to see not only how some of the finished boats with self bailing soles did it, but after a year or three, how well you like how it was done.

PHOTOS ARE A PLUS!!!

I have the sole laid in the boat, so its time to at least plan for the scuppers.

Thanks!

E

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:19 pm

I have 1 3/4 inch holes in the side as "side drains". These worked ok, except when I had a full load of fuel, the kicker on and the bait well full. Actually two of the sole really close to water line. I also got some nasty spay when it was choppy. So needless to say I got water on the sole alot. My solution was to put clam shells over the holes. This worked real well. At trolling speed (7 knots or so I ain't walleye fishing) any water is sucked out and I can plug with rubber stoppers to keep things dry.

I like this set up alot. It makes it super easy to clean up, as the side drains are suck water out real fast (when moving). Yes its kinda wet when I am heavy if the plugs aren't in, but its real easy to dry it out and plug it. In my opinion if your boat is going to be heavy (4 strokes, kickers, bait wells, etc...) I would not use side drains without the clams shell or something similiar over the hole. I probably need a bigger boat for all the crap I put in mine. Oh well I can live with a little water on the sole occasionally, especially since I know I can get rid of it now.

Jody

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:50 pm

I have never been in favor of side scuppers on small boats when the sole is less than 3-4" above the waterline. Jacque seems to favor them, I just can't too much trouble with plugs, etc. Even with flaps the flaps are in the wrong position to work properly in a following sea or when you slow down.

With Jacques design I would much prefer to run pipes through the lockers with scuppers with flaps on the stern. This also gives you 18" or so of pipe to hold water that might get in before the flap closes. You can also use a plug if you have to. I like to build the outside of the scupper up a little bit so the flap is closed or nearly closed when the boat is at rest, if the scupper is not designed that way.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

calypso
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

scuppers

Post by calypso » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:13 pm

Transome scuppers in small sailing dingy's are nothing more than a 3-4 inch hole with a funnel larger than the hole and the funnel has a line thru it to a jam cleat. the neck of the funnel points forward, and rubber gasket material is around the hole in the transome.
Chris Colby

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:23 pm

If you use the floor drains with the ball check valve in them I wouldn't be to concerned about the scuppers. The odds of water backing up through the scuppers is really not a big concern. As long as the scuppers are below the flor drains.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:28 pm

Does anyone have a photo or two of how they plumbed in the scuppers?

E

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:26 pm

Yeah photos, especially for the imagery impaired amatuer like me. And maybe I'm too literal but I don't get the XX" diameter reports. How does a circular hole work over a flat sole? Shouldn't it be a half circle or better yet oval? But then plugs to fit a half oval? Old Dougster's running back of the pack here.

Hope he's got a kick left come the finish line Dougster

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:19 am

didn't realize you were talking about a flat sole, not a raised sole on top of stringers. On this type of sole you have to install a 1" drain plug. They used to make a drain plug with a rubber flat flapper that was enclosed normally. Kind of like a whoopee cushion flapper. It would stay closed under water pressure and if any water got in the forward motion would flush the bildge area. Haven't seen one in years. Check some of the marine catalogs.To be accurate you have t o drainthru the transom.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:01 am

Hey Dougster make the hole even with the sole easier if you haven't laid the back sole, when you can route a groove for the pipe. A plug will still go in and the amount of water will determine how high up on the pipe it needs to go to get its blankety blank out the back. After all aren't you going to run over to that corner to encourage it to leave. :D

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

L B Lee
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

show us your scuppers

Post by L B Lee » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:03 am

Stickystuff, didnt you install side scuppers in the xf20 you just finished ?
if so could you explain how ? I was thinking of doing the same.