FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Beach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS17

Post by Beach » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:13 pm

BELOW...Cut and pasted from another thread...so would adding a bow flair in several panels be all that hard for the FS17 to get something like this?

Anonymous wrote:
Any future plans for the CS23 style with more bow flair? Something that could be cold molded? And an option for a small diesel inboard? Could this plan be scaled down to 21-22 ft? If I wanted a plan like this how would I go about getting it? Thanks, great site.

If you pay for the development of the plan, we'll start it right away. Our cots to develop a new plan in that size is US $ 3,000.00.
BTW, it will not be cold molded but sheated strip orm foam sandwich can be considered.

A less expensive solution is to add the flare yourself, it is easy.
We show how to create a moderate flare, it's just a matter of increasing it.

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:15 am

I can cut parts for that style flair. The parts will look like this.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:34 am

with that amount of flare, you loses too much volume in a small boat.

I agree the boats lines are pretty. A 17' Carolina hull would have to be classified as pretty gimmicky - but so are a lot of things that are fun to build. Just know that you will lose a lot of the functionality of the FS17 for the sake of style - thats up to you. It might be fun to do, like a mini-tug

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:46 am

Top heavy and bow heavy...lots of weight for questionable purpose in a small hull....
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:36 am

Archemedes says it isn't a good idea. That is if the flair is a platform for gawking, fishering, sunbathing,etc.
It's all about what is under the flair. If there is not sifficient boat under the flair the bow will go down as weight is added above.
Then there is the cantilever effect. Adding weight on a platform that is hanging out over the water will cause the opposite end of the boat to lift unless there is sufficient weight back there to offset it.
It may be that whoever designed the plastic wonder in the picture had to fatten the bow section to accomodate expected loads and keep the boat in trim.
Everything is a trade-off. If you want something like this you have to accept the consequenses.
If you add this strictly for looks and it's not large enough to stand on it shouldn't cause any problems. Seems like alot of work just to knock down occasional spray.

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:21 pm

The flair is added on to the bottom panel in the CX-25 and does not change the wet surface or the useful volume in the hull. I don't see that it would be different in a smaller version.

Here is what it would look like on an 18' hull.
I don't think it would look good on a FS17.

jayb01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jayb01 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:51 pm

Dee,
I think if you could lower the sheer some to make it a bit more proportional to the size of the hull, her lines would look less bloated, and a bit more sexy.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:13 am

jayb01 wrote:Dee,
I think if you could lower the sheer some to make it a bit more proportional to the size of the hull, her lines would look less bloated, and a bit more sexy.
Lower the sheer and keep the hull shape (basically just cutting the deck lower, lower cross section), you loose all the flair and the bow become very pointed. The boat would knife into swells, very wet.

Lower the sheer and keep the same beam at deck level, then there is no room for the flair without loosing all buoyancy towards the bow.

If its the sheer line and tumblehome style you want in a small boat, you can get that while still maintaining some volume forward (look at CS23 and CS25).

OR, you could simply add more material to the side panels, cut them into strips, and flare them out. Then you would keep the balanced hull design and still have your style. There is already a raised sheer option for the FS17, you could cut the sheer of the upper side panel to be whatever shape you want (carolina sheer). you would have to modify the molds to get the upper panels to make the shape you want. It not as easy as it may look in 2D.

Its still Gimmicky :D but it would be fun to see someone do it 8) [/u]

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:57 am

I used the same proportions as the CS23.

But I do like this better.

The bow is more pointed like the Carolina style that most of the local builder use. If you used the round bow sheer is would only change the length.
Last edited by Deedaddy on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beach
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Beach » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:17 am

I like this dialog...keep it coming...nice idea and beautiful drawings...

Shine...I already thought about teh added panels and their potential use to get the lines I'm looking for...lets say of the 6 inches of additional panel I get then I contour adn cut the rear portion to lower it to the CS Side Profile without the flair...then I was also thinking of making several plywood formers/frames to glue to the insides then stripping the panel ply adn forming a small flair ...some additional material might/probably be required to finish of the flair in a suitable fashion...