Mini Maia, Evan?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:24 am

I do tugs all the time at work.

Last thing I want to design! Right now I'm doing 2 x 32m tugs, 1 x 50m anchor handler/dive support/supertanker handling tug, 1 x 38m Fi Fi 3 (firefighting 42,000 Gallons/MINUTE. No, that is not a typo), and a 10m lifeboat.

Seriously I'm not a big fan of the "recreational tugs". Tugboats have a lot of horsepower in small packages. That really makes the hull very deep and full to give room for the machinery. You wouldn't do that on a yacht because no need for all that power. It's just not a clever thing to do unless you really like the look of tugboats.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Daniel Huckleberry » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:29 am

jacquesmm wrote:A tug boat in the style of the Berkeley?

http://www.berkeley-engineering.com/CanduE-Z.html
Super cute. I would like it a little bigger. Use would be limited, but what a joy to have in a collection.

Sounds like Evan does not agree.

Spokaloo?

Huck

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:56 pm

Except for the name, those boats have nothing in common with real tug boats. Underwater, they look like any other pleasure craft, not like a real tug.
They are character boats, boats that people build because of the looks, not the functionality. The looks probably remind us of the little Walt Disney tug.
I think that Evan has seen enough tugs and doesn't feel the same way anymore.
:?
If I designed one of those fake tug boats, it would be larger, between 16 and 18'.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

WacoMartin
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WacoMartin » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:36 pm

Just happened to come across this thread. Jacques, if you were to design such a "fake tugboat" with accommodations (Two births, head, mini-gallery) this would rise to the top of my next-to-build list. Tooling around the Texas lakes with my son and grandsons in such a craft would be so cool. Consider this please.

Martin

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:35 am

I agree, Jaques - "mini-cruiser" accomodations on the mini-tug, please! At least berths for 2 and porta-potti. I also thinke those mini-tugs look better with a bit of trunk cabin in front like Bo-Jest, Dipper, etc., instead of the pilothouse all the way forward like Rufus (otherwise Rufus looks very nice to me).

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:10 am

I would buy plans also.

I have spent a lot of time looking at Sam Devlin's Dipper but it is just a bit too short.

Glen-l's/Al Sorenson & Ken Hankinson's Goliath is very nice/good size but I would prefer something in S&G.

Here's Glen'l's Bojest. I don't like the lines as much compared to the other two.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:55 am

I'm not getting anywhere with the 24' catamaran. I had an idea to build an asymmetric transverse queen size berth that would also nest into the other hull when collapsed for trailering.... but it was too ugly and just didn't work out. Sometimes it is difficult to accept your great idea isn't that great!\n

I will discuss a mini tug with Jacques. Maybe it will be a 21' displacement hull that will fit between the Maia 24 and HMD 18. Maybe it will have 2 cabin options: 1 tugboat cabin for those that like that style, and 1 conventional cabin for those who want a different appearance?

Does this sound interesting enough for the tugboat fans? Is this too big for a mini tug? I will provide plans for a towing bitt on the aft deck so it can do some real towing job or my boss will never forgive me!
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:42 pm

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:56 pm

My first choice would be a mini-tug in the 18-19' range (like goliath) because of space limitations while building but anything around 18-21' and I would buy the plans.

I personally prefer smaller/simpler/easier/cheaper etc... but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea.

Maybe Bateau needs a whole fleet of tugs :D