Mini Maia, Evan?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:21 pm

Of course Im a tug/trawler/troller/workboat guy:

Mine gets worked as a tug as well, with all of those blistering 5 hp chugging away.

Evan, do you really want to do this? It's a passion thing, for those who are really infatuated with working craft. I know you stare at these all day long at work, but you really have to be enthused about the job for it to turn out well. Think of Hankinson, he really loved the little workboats he put out (remarkably, is only about 15 miles from here in an inland Idaho town).

I really like the idea of something in a 21' length. That gives good accomodation for its length. I think you could do it on the JogAlong platform as a cabin addendum with Jacques, who seems already to be interested. Of course, its a tug, so beam is going to need to be as big as it can get. 8'6.999" for the American trailering laws. Lots of personality!

One of the features that character tugs are lacking is the forward sloping windshield. All have the "Lil Toot" windows (as Buehler calls them), which are cute, but don't mean business. I may be alone on that one.

Possibly a semi-planing hull (I know massive contradiction with a beamy hull) or a full planer with limited speed potential might be a bigger seller, who knows....

E

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:46 pm

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Yes, forward sloping windows are required to give it the correct look.

I was really looking forward to the 24' cat - but it was going to be a something that would never sell a lot of plans. I'll put it on the back burner.

So never fear, while I do look at tugs all day long this is rather different and will be a simple boat for me to get the look I want.

It will be a displacement hull. If you want a faster boat in this size range, build a Pilot 21 with forward sloping windows. I don't do semi-displacement hulls if I can avoid them. They're the worst of both worlds; bad fuel economy and not enough speed to be really fast.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:28 pm

20-21' is perfect. Sign me up for a set of plans!

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:29 pm

Full displacement, forward sloping windows..... sounds good to me.

What about propulsion???

Small diesel, simple/less expensive outboard in a well like Delvin's dipper, both options?

Evan_Gatehouse wrote:Yes, forward sloping windows are required to give it the correct look.

I was really looking forward to the 24' cat - but it was going to be a something that would never sell a lot of plans. I'll put it on the back burner.

So never fear, while I do look at tugs all day long this is rather different and will be a simple boat for me to get the look I want.

It will be a displacement hull. If you want a faster boat in this size range, build a Pilot 21 with forward sloping windows. I don't do semi-displacement hulls if I can avoid them. They're the worst of both worlds; bad fuel economy and not enough speed to be really fast.

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:05 pm

I know that more plans will sell if it's outboard....

25':

28', but this has the look...:

39', the look:

21' that could be a good start:

20', could have better accomodations:

20', similar to above. Seen in person, neat boat:

I like where this is going!

E

Daddy

Post by Daddy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:24 pm

You might want to check out the Benford Group designs, great look, not stitch and glue but probably could be
Daddy

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:41 pm

14' from Benford. :D

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:46 pm

Daddy, SP, the two bottom boats on my post are Benford boats from the same book....

E

gk108

Post by gk108 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Please, no fake smokestacks. It looks like we're heading towards a forward pilothouse aft cabin style. That may rule out an inboard simply for the space that is needed for a usable cabin.
I'm very interested in this. I want to toss in another layout for consideration. Aft pilothouse with nothing but a motor well behind it and a cabin trunk forward of it. Similar to a small Chesapeake Bay buy boat with a cabin where the hold is.
CC, D15, V10