Jacques ob15?s

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Jacques ob15?s

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Thu May 29, 2003 5:02 pm

Thanks for the tips you gave when I placed my order for the wood today and resolving the issue of the mahogany transom. I do have one more before starting on my molds.

Recall when I posted about making this into a flats boat and we talked about cutting down the sheer. In doing so and while making the forward bulkhead is it possible for me to put a curve in the side of the mold so that it has some flare (somewhat of a small Carolina flare). Being that I will be cutting down the bow to aid in spray back if you will. I am only talking about moving out the top portions of that mold 2 or so inches each side at the top. I have put my hands on some of the plywood and think its possible for it to make that type of bend. I'm just looking for some kind of idea.

Thanks again.
Scott Godwin

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu May 29, 2003 5:34 pm

I understand what you try to do but it is not easy to bend the plywood that way.
One way to create a flared bow with plywood, on flared molds, is to cut slots, lengthwise then cover the gaps with fiberglass. Not really difficult but also not something I would recommned unless you know fiberglass well.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Doug
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Doug » Fri May 30, 2003 9:05 am

You could just extend the deck outside the hull a couple of inches like a lot of flats boats do. It would be a lot easier.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Fri May 30, 2003 9:10 am

Doug,

I have thought of that also. Would be like a Mitzi skiff (sp?). Thats about how they get the flare. Also Hellsbay, they add a piece to the sheer and its bowed to the bow then tapers to the hull. Have thought of several ways to do it. Guess its just a matter of biting the bullet.

Thanks for the idea

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW » Fri May 30, 2003 11:07 am

You might extend the deck out and trim it in a nice shape for a flair and then fair in a radius with microbaloons using a piece of large radius PVC. Then finish shaping it with sureform tool and sander/grinder. Haven't done this before but thought about the process. Any others' thoughts?
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Fri May 30, 2003 1:45 pm

I am thinking what I am going to do is get some balsa and make some ribs in the shape and taper them to the amidship. Put these molds on the hull and take my balsa to make the curve. Tape them with panters tape (as fiberglass wont stick to it). Then glass over the taped balsa a few times. Once dried remove my fiberglass mold from the balsa and take out the ribs and balsa. Then fair and glass my new mold to the hull and fill it wih foam and glass over the top of the foam. Once I have that shape like I want it I will then add my newly shaped rubrail and deck to just the edge of the rubrail. Then I will take some of this mahogany and make some quater rounds and cap off the rubrail. I am also thinking I may split the mahogany in two pieces and laminate cypress or holly in the middle. Then take and make myself a toe rail much like the phantom 16 pics with a nice gathering larger piece in the bow to recess my cleat.

I have molded fiberglass from anything using cardboard as a form to a few pieces of wood spaced from the mounting surface. The trick is to use a material first that you can stretch over the whole form and make that stiff. Once you have that you can then add your fiberglass fabric. Fiberglass is a blast to work with if you get away from thinking square. The shapes are unlimited and getting uniform parts that match is just to make a form. I am sure once I start building my OB I will have lots of questions on how to do some of the things I am going to do to it. I look forward to each and every question. Only now I will need to learn how to make a web page so everyone can follow my progress.

thrill203
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Jacques ob15?s

Post by thrill203 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:26 pm

If you wanted do have a big overhang like on a Mitzi, how would you do it? Could you just keeping adding 1 inch wide strips to make the rubrail stick out further? Or would it be better to just make the deck overhang more? Which would be stronger if a wave were to reach it?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 pm

this post is 7 years old :!: :)

If you want a large overhang, the easiest thing is to extend the deck out. You will have ton increase the thickness of the wood and it will have to be faired in upside down, unless you want to flip the boat twice

rick berrey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rick berrey » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Larry or Tom should have caught that :roll: rick

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:39 pm

You can't expect me to do everything around here, Rick :lol: I'm pretty good at fairing upside down though :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose