RB12

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RB12

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:15 am

There is a small air cooled inboard available. Moderately priced but noisy. Joel has the name of the company, let's see if he remembers it.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:32 am

made by the same company you sell

http://www.waterwaypowercenter.com/inde ... age614.htm

edit sorry this is a diesel and water cooled i think

here is a jet drive that was stated earlier

http://www.castoldijet.it/waterj/jet03.php
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Okay, I was wrong... The RB14 will be the "first boat" in my world... I think....

Jacques, there would probably be interested all the way up to 24 or 28' on these! I've drooled at some of the triple cockpit plans I've seen elsewhere online... I think this would be waaaay more simple to assemble than those, even WITH an inboard power plant (like a 5.7L something or other)...

Does anyone have a source for either wood for planking the decks out or the veneers for adhering to the deck? :doh:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:22 pm

T here is my favorite veneer company. You can get 12 x 4' peices for long runs. For lumber it's usually better to get it locally. There is usually a lumberyard or two within driving distance of any big city that has what you are looking for. In fact here's one a quick look at my source book gave me. http://www.boehm-madisen.com/ Don't know how close he is to you but it will be cheaper than shipping wood for anything exotic/imported.
Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:52 pm

tobolamr wrote:
Does anyone have a source for either wood for planking the decks out or the veneers for adhering to the deck? :doh:
The deck is made from 1/4" or 3/16 plywood (6 or 4 mm). You can either paint it (6 mm) or add a veneer (on top of the 4 mm). The paper veneer is epoxy glued, applied either with a roller or vacuum bagged.
You can buy veneer online ( do a search with Google, you'll find hundreds of suppliers) or you may find it at the local home improvement store. It does not have to be a marine veneer: you will coat it epoxy and a marine varnish.
You can buy veneer with fake glue lines.

Another way to obtain that look is to deck with 4 mm plywood then add another layer with strips of 4 mm ply with epoxy /graphite glue lines in between. You'll sand it down for clear glue lines and end up with something juts above 6 mm.
Joel finished a table top that way. He used pallet wood ! but the resulting panel looks great.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Tom, I'm actually closer to Minneapolis - St. Paul than Waukesha. Waukesha is about 4 hours away, and the Twin Cities are about 2. But we have a lot of local sawmills, and Amish wood mills, etc.

Jacques, I never thought about the 4mm... That's a great idea!

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:57 pm

My in-laws built a 14' speedboat very similar to JM's design, they fitted it with a gas powed, water cooled 4 cylinder, 120hp inboard shaft drive, no problem with the logistics, very fast and fun boat.
Here's a pic of my Grandson sitting in the cockpit, it's the only picture I have of it but I'll find or go take some picture of the whole boat, you'll be suprised how much they look alike.

Joe
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

mickmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mickmac » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:25 pm

i love this design! think i've found project number two! awesome :D

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Very very nice! You guys hit my soft spot again. An RB is on my list even if just to build and sell. I'm going to have to not look at these though for awhile till I finish the others.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:02 pm

utilizes the pump out of a sea-doo or other annoying craft, allowing you to destroy one of those things AND have a snazzy little boat afterwards
I love it! :D My feelings exactly, Eric!