Flared Bow on C19

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomD

Re: Flaired Bow on C19

Post by TomD » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks for the replies. Are all flaired bows purely asthetic or are there some designs where they help to reduce spray?

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Tom in the 45-70' fishing commercial fleet they make sense as the flaired bow extends far enough aft to deflect the waves away from the boat.

Let's look at your C19 and you wanting to flair it you get 4' of flair of very moderate flair that really does nothing as most of the spray is behind that, or starts lower down and is not affected by the flair. Now we go to a 45' boat he gets 11-12' of flair that's quite of bit of difference. Now we go to a 70' boat and he gets 16-18' of flair that is very significant. These flairs run far enougn back that they can affect the spray down ward at there back edges. Additionally they increase the volume as they plunge into an oncoming sea allowing them to handle rough weather better.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Good answer Tom. I think in a small boat like that, it's all about the looks and style. I doubt it makes any significant difference in the amount of spray coming aboard.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Exactly Larry anything less than about 35' the Flair is all about decoration and not about utility. Any thing less just doesnt' have the overall flair to length ratio to turn the spray away. Jacques CS25 puts spray boards the last 12' of the boat and uses other tricks to reduce spray. The flair does almost nothing to reduce spray! :wink:
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

almayf
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by almayf » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Would the flair on a 20-25ft boat add enough volume to help prevent burying the bow in waves?

Allen

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Not really the volume of the boat below the flair is really what controls that on a smaller boat. By the time water is reaching the flair on a 20 or 25' boat she should already be starting to rise. The exception would be in extreme conditions where she probably shouldn't be out in. Take a look at the flair on the CS25 it is really in only the top 1/4 - 1/3 of the sides.
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 pm

almayf wrote:Would the flair on a 20-25ft boat add enough volume to help prevent burying the bow in waves?

Allen
Having stuffed the bow on a couple boats, it was the wave frequency and height relative to the boat length that resulted in the nose grabbing the face of the wave. The "prevention" is to stay out of bad weather, I'm learning. :wink:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:27 pm

Flare isn't going to do much in those cases.
Flare deflect some sprays, at slow speed mostly and provide a nice wider deck, room for the anchor or a bow roller but if you find yourself digging the bow that deep in the waves, it's the bow volume that counts and the flare hasn't much volume.

All our boats have good volume forward. I hate boats that dig their bow deep in steep waves and become difficult to steer.

Many years ago, I added flare to the bow of my 40' sailboat with the idea that if I ever was in real bad weather (Cape Horn?), running before the wind, surfing down a big wave, the flare would act like a ski and help lift the bow out of the water instead of digging in the wave in front of me.
That was mostly an imaginary situation. The boat surfed at times, was in real bad weather a few times but the flare never did it anything to improve the behavior or safety.
It made from some nice conversations when I explained the purpose of the flare to other sailors.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:41 pm

jacquesmm wrote:Flare isn't going to do much in those cases.
Flare deflect some sprays, at slow speed mostly and provide a nice wider deck, room for the anchor or a bow roller...
I agree with Jacques. The big advantage of the flared bow is more usable deck space. Room for an anchor, a roller or an FA18 Hornet or two. :lol:

Cracker Larry

Re: Flared Bow on C19

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:43 pm

This looks like it's deflecting some spray 8)

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose