Best way to flip fs17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
mobileone
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Best way to flip fs17

Post by mobileone » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Anybody have aNy good ideas Or thOughts on how to put a boat on it's sIde and roll it out of the garage to flip it over? I thought about making an exoskeleton around the boat to support it

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Best way to flip fs17

Post by remedy32 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Mine was flipped 3 times during the build as I chose to build out the entire hull before fairing and painting the bottom. First flip was done with outer seams taped, bottom glassed and extension bulwark in place. I supported the transom on the tail of my pickup truck and my wife and I flipped the hull over and onto a waiting cradle. Wasn't too hard but a third person would have helped. Just need to be careful not to put any weight on the pretty flimsy (at this stage) sides. Later flips were of a 500+ lb hull and we had 6 guys. I added an 2x6 extension across the transom to equal the maximum beam of the boat then built a diagonal brace inside the hull from the sole to the gunwale at the max beam. This allowed the boat to be tipped onto that side and then lowered without much trouble. The inside brace stayed in place until the "final" flip with bottom and topsides all done. Sorry but no pictures were taken of any of the actual "flips". Hope this helps.

bill in CT

chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chopperman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:38 pm

With my Phantom 16, the hull was pretty solid with the bulkheads and stringers strapped in temporarily. Two ratcheting tie down straps were wrapped around the hull to hold everything together tight. I also used some heavy duty string to attach the bulkheads to the hull sides to keep them from shifting too much during the flip. I had four friends stop by. We slid the hull off of the jig on to three used tires, putting the weight on chine and transom side. Three guys lifted the oposite hull side over their heads until the boat was vertical, ballanced on it's side. Then, we shifted the over to the other side to let it down easy. Next, we let the hull rest on the tires while the jig was convertied to a craddle. Finally, we lifted the hull on to the jig. Quite simple method, just had to distribute the weight well on the tires. I was very busy and nervous, :help: so no pictures were taken. I wish I someone taking them. I've seen better methods, such as how shine flipped his FS17 low sheer, but I didn't have the ceiling clearance in my garage.
Completed: Phantom 16 viewtopic.php?t=19940

mobileone
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mobileone » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:01 am

that helps a lot. will need to brace the semi flimsy sides a bit although the frames are in situ. i should be able to build braces and drop it onto one side and walk it out on casters> easier said than done though. will have pics for sure. any advice you might think of keep it coming.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:01 am

I flipped mine 3 times (GV15) and just grabbed a few of my buddies and a case of beer. It worked out well except the last flip I only had 3 people total, and we dropped it. Good news is my boat is really tough and can handle being dropped from it's side :D

On my next boat I will just build a cage for flipping like this one.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:56 am

That's what I did Will, worked out great! (P19)

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:02 am

My PH18 was in the cradle. I did have the stringers in but no bulkheads. I also had the rubrail on which help to stiffen the sides. We screwed slates across from one side to the other and screwed down into the rubrail about every 3 ft. across the top. This helped a lot to stiffen the sides even more. Rolled the cradle out of the shop. Set up 2 sawhorses and then the 3 of us lifted one side over to the balance point, moved to the other side and let it down onto the sawhorses. So one side is on the ground the other on sawhorses. After a refit to the cradle, one guy on the bow and the other two on each side toward the stern, we just picked her up and set her back on the cradle. Don

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:41 am

The FS17 is a very light boat. 2 or 3 people wouldn't have any problem flipping it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:26 pm

I flipped mine with 4 guys and it was super easy. The hard part was building a cradle for the hull which I did first. We then lifted the hull off of the frames and moved it to the cradle. Put one side of the hull on one side of the cradle and rolled onto the cradle. The hull is super light. The frames and strongback are much heavy than the hull. It took a minute to do, if that. After you do it you'll say to yourself it was no big deal at all.

designlady
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by designlady » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:21 pm

We flipped it with 2 strong boys and me/girls balancing it. It is probably a lot lighter than you think. I did have a brace screwed in at the bow to hold the sides about 2/3 of the way from the transom. We set it down in the yard putting the transom/chine down first and then set the bow down, then lifted onto a cradle. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. You can see where I had the brace. I left it in for awhile, until we glassed the hull. The second one, in the back, was not screwed in when we flipped, but would'nt hurt if it had been.
Hope this helps.

Willie