Battery Setup / Placement

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Battery Setup / Placement

Post by LSUred » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 am

I broke down and ordered a custom fuel tank, so I've got it behind a false bulkhead in the bow. Tryin to plan out my power now.
I plan to eventually add a trolling motor to my FS17, so I'll need another battery. Do most people put trollin battery in the bow and the starting/electrical accessories battery in the stern? Or is it ok to have them both in the bow? I'd like the extra weight of two batteries in the bow, but don't know if ~15ft. is too far for a starting battery and the alternator on the outboard.

Just wondering how most people outfitted their poling skiffs.
Thanks, Baron

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Battery Setup / Placement

Post by Uncle D » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 am

I had two batteries in the transom area for start and acc. power connected to a battery switch. My trolling motor batteries were in the bow area with the trolling motor. I've always tried to keep the elec. runs as short as possible. May not be the best but this has always worked for me.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:39 am

I've always tried to keep the elec. runs as short as possible.
Yes. When you are figuring the length of the wire run you have to measure the total distance both ways, meaning that your 15' run is actually computed at 30' for sizing the cable to the load. A 30' cable run to an engine starter drawing 80 amps would require an excessively large, expensive and heavy cable. The trolling motor also has a large current draw. I'd keep the starting batteries close to the engine and the trolling motor batteries close to the trolling motor.

Here is some good bedtime reading on the subject http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/wais ... 20_99.html
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LSUred » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:21 pm

hmmm i was afraid ya'll would say that about the amp draw. Makes perfect sense though. I'll plan to keep my starting battery in the stern and my trolling battery up front. Also both of you mentioned multiple batteries. Is it ok to have just ONE starting battery and ONE trolling battery?

and Unlce D, you mentioned a switch. is it a switch that allows you to manually select between, say, 'battery A' or 'battery B'?

I will mostly be poling and won't even have a trolling motor at first, but will need it in Port Isabel for tarpon occasionally :)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Also both of you mentioned multiple batteries. Is it ok to have just ONE starting battery and ONE trolling battery?
It's OK if it meets your needs. It may be perfect for the FS17, or not. Trolling motors come in both 12 and 24V models, the 24V models are stronger, but will require using 2 -12V batteries in series to get the 24V.

For the engine starting battery, what else might it be doing? Bait pumps, bilge pump, running lights, spot lights, cockpit lights, stereo, VHF, GPS, depth finder, blender for making daiquiris :lol: I have 2 batteries in my OD18, but it is common for me to run the bait well all night long at the dock, and I still want the engine to crank the next morning.

and Unlce D, you mentioned a switch. is it a switch that allows you to manually select between, say, 'battery A' or 'battery B'?
Yes, every boat with a battery should have a master cut-off switch. If it has more than one battery, then it has a selector switch to choose between A, B, Both, or Off. This way you can run your bait wells all night on 1 battery, switch to the other for engine cranking, and switch to Both for charging.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:43 pm

I won't use the Perco brand.They will corrode bad. It's been too long ago but I picked one up at Boaters World when they were still in business here in Corpus. Anyway this particular one was all stainless, and will charge the batteries no matter where you had the selector. (except off :wink: ) I try to think redundancy if possible.

LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LSUred » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm planning on a 12v trolling motor, just to save weight/cost. I just don't plan to use one that often.

CL I was planning on Lowrance GPS, LED navigation lights, Trim tabs and eventually a little stereo with 4 small speakers. Not sure if I would need a 2nd battery or not to power my accessories. No bait/live well at all. No plan for a bilge pump with the self-bailing cockpit and will drain out the sides like Shine's.

The switch sounds interesting. I would like to be able to recharge the trolling battery simultaneously with the starting battery, don't know if that's feasible or not, considering the distance to the bow and cost of the heavy wire you mentioned. I have no problem charging the trolling battery at night with a wall outlet if I have to, it'd just be nice to have it charging whenever the motor is running! not a necessity though.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Can you get a 12 vdc for saltwater??

LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LSUred » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:04 pm

Can you get a 12 vdc for saltwater??
Looked in the Cabela's catalog last night, seemed like there were a number of the Minnkota Riptide motors available in both 12/24v with a lot of options as far as shaft length and mounting.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 pm

LSUred wrote:but will need it in Port Isabel for tarpon occasionally :)
I live about 1 mile from US 77 in Corpus. Pick me up on the way down. :wink: