Harness & hydrolics together ?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jbridges
Active Poster
Active Poster

Harness & hydrolics together ?

Post by jbridges » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Just beginning to pull everything through chases tubes and thought I remember someone saying that running steering and control harness together is a bad idea. Is that the case and why so ? I ask because all the production boats seem to use just one tube and it looks really clean. I would like to do it this way if possible. Thanks

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Harness & hydrolics together ?

Post by Lung Boy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:47 am

I believe it's bad only if your chase tube diameter is too small. If it is too small then lube and cursing is involved.

jbridges
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jbridges » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 am

Yea I only pull stuff through chase tubes on Saturday. That way I can go to church and ask forgiveness on Sunday.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm pulling all electric in one tube, hydraulic and control cables in another then fuel line through it's own tube.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:33 am

The fuel line should always have it's own conduit. Electrical cables should not run in the same conduit as mechanical steering or control cables, although it's OK to run hydraulic steering with electrical wires.
I remember someone saying that running steering and control harness together is a bad idea. Is that the case and why
It's against USCG regulations and ABYC recommendations. Mechanical steering, shift and throttle cables are stiff but have movement and can chafe through electrical wires, causing shorts or fires. They are also prone to sheathing failure and have grounded metal cores, which will quickly cut and short out electrical wiring. It's obvious why fuel lines should be run alone.

Good industry practice says 1 for the fuel line, 1 for electrical, and 1 for control cables.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jbridges
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jbridges » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:20 am

Thanks to everyone. I long ago set up different chase tubes for all of the different components( electric, fuel ect. Just for the sake of beating this dead horse up a bit more; I notice that on most all of the production boats there is one large rigging tube coming from the deck to motor. So I guess what my question really was, is it ok to put everything together in one chase tube once they reach the deck( the 3 ft from deck to motor that is outside the hull). It's not a problem for me to do 2, I just think 1 looks a little cleaner if it would be safe.