D15 stability. false problem.

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

D15 stability. false problem.

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:47 am

Recently, there were several messages questioning the stability of the D15.
Let's make it clear, the D15 has no stability problem, none.
A D15 built accordinlgy to the plans will behave exactly as planned and she will not tip over!

All the worries are based on a story of a heavily modified D15. That boat was modified against my explicit advice. It should not be called a D15. The tunnel of a 20' boat was cut through the bottom and a high console was added, all very dangerous. The result was a capsize.
If you put a tuna tower on a D15, she will capsize but don't blame the design. :(
If you follow the plans, you will have an excellent boat.

She is narrower than some other 15 footer for a good reason: to pass smoothly through a chop. If you want more stability, get a GF14 or 16 but she will pund in a chop. If you want stability and a smooth ride, get the OB15 but she will cost 4 times more and require much more labor.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

sunrunner
New Poster
New Poster

Post by sunrunner » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:22 am

I am building D15 we made a error in cutting the transom. The width at the top is 3/4 of a inch short . Should we recut a new transom or could we make an adjustment some where else? Thanks!!

Bob (sunrunner)

MikeS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MikeS » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:43 pm

Sunrunner; just epoxy glue some strips onto the existing short transom then recut to the right size. By the time you get the transom/side/bottom joint taped and covered with glass it will be stronger than the original wood anyway. Don't change any dimensions or you'll be changing dimensions on many other parts also.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:18 am

Or you can probably assemble the boat with that mistake. It will not influence the behavior of the boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Lamar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lamar » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:30 pm

I'm ready to commit to building a D-15. I have only 1 question.
The D-15 calls for 7 pieces of plywood. Is that with the thwarts only? :doh:

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:38 pm

Lamar wrote:I'm ready to commit to building a D-15. I have only 1 question.
The D-15 calls for 7 pieces of plywood. Is that with the thwarts only? :doh:
The nesting diagram included with my D15 plans shows 7 sheets with the cockpit version.
CC, D15, V10

macfiveo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: D15 stability. false problem.

Post by macfiveo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:02 pm

jacquesmm wrote:Recently, there were several messages questioning the stability of the D15.
Let's make it clear, the D15 has no stability problem, none.
A D15 built accordinlgy to the plans will behave exactly as planned and she will not tip over!

All the worries are based on a story of a heavily modified D15. That boat was modified against my explicit advice. It should not be called a D15. The tunnel of a 20' boat was cut through the bottom and a high console was added, all very dangerous. The result was a capsize.
If you put a tuna tower on a D15, she will capsize but don't blame the design. :(

She is narrower than some other 15 footer for a good reason: to pass smoothly through a chop. If you want more stability, get a GF14 or 16 but she will pund in a chop. If you want stability and a smooth ride, get the OB15 but she will cost 4 times more and require much more labor.
Yep. It's all true! :D Except it was more like a "power-roll" with a novice at the wheel. We discovered that trimming the engine in too much gave it that tendency, and adjusted the trim bar to preven that. BTW, the console has been removed (pics to come when it's replaced with a small side-console) because, as narrow as it was, it was still too bulky in the center of the boat.

Note that I call it a DX15, as the modifications were all experimental, and NOT recommended by Jacques, the designer. I lot of fun and very exciting (we were able to fish everyone and all of the gear out of the water, and only lost two cans of soda...), but the builder would not do it the same way again! :lol:

5-0
Last edited by macfiveo on Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Heffield
DX15 Fir Elise
OB15 (in progress)

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:15 pm

Jacques wrote:If you put a tuna tower on a D15, she will capsize but don't blame the design.
Alright... I guess I'll use the tuna tower mounts for something else on the CV16, though it was a lot of effort to come up with one that would not interfere with the sails...

:lol:

ks

Boomer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boomer » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:14 pm

So when can we expect drawings of the tuna tower?

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:54 pm

Boomer wrote:So when can we expect drawings of the tuna tower?
I was so heartbroken by the news of instability that I shredded the tower plans, and reshaped the tower as a swing set... :(