FS17LS: tohatsu or Yamaha?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS17LS: tohatsu or Yamaha?

Post by LSUred » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:17 pm

FS17 low sheer:

I originally intended to power my fs17 with a 2stroke tohatsu 40 or 50 to keep weight down. My permanent tank is only 10 gallons however, so I've started to consider the 4 stroke yamahas because they sip fuel.

The 40-50 tohatsu weighs 205lbs. The Yamahas weigh from 214-249lbs. I know that's a big difference in weight. I'll mostly be poling for reds near Galveston but would like the, option to head offshore 10-15 miles on a calm day...

So those who have experience with similarly sized skiffs...better to save the draft and sacrifice fuel usage, or go with the 4 stroke since I have limited fuel capacity??

Thanks for the input,
Baron

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS17LS: tohatsu or Yamaha?

Post by AtTheBrink » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:17 pm

A 40-50hp 2-stroke doesn't use much fuel anyway. Not sure there would be much difference.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:20 am

My 40hp 4-stroke Yammie uses 1/3 less fuel than the 25hp 2-stroke Suzy it replaced!

I LOVE my Yammie!

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:24 am

Holy crap! That is amazing! I had no idea...
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:25 pm

My 20hp yamaha gets nearly double the mpg then my old 18hp 2-stroke did. That being said, have you looked into the E-tecs? They get similar MPG like the 4-strokes, but they still have the power and punch of a 2-stroke, which is something I miss.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 pm

depends entirely how much you use it. I used my FS17 almost every weekend for a couple years, normal use was running 10 minutes to a spot, fish, maybe 10 minutes more to another spot, a little idling, then another run home. You can do the math to determine how many hours it takes to pay for the difference in gas cost. For a small boat, the weight of the 4 stroke might be not worth it. If noise is a concern, 4 strokes are super quiet.

My 2 stroke 40 tohatsu would push My FS17 around for a day of fishing and I dont think I ever burned more than 6 gallons

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:04 pm

That being said, have you looked into the E-tecs?
Help :help: :lol:

I'm for Yamaha, but there is nothing wrong with a Tohatsu either, they've been building small outboards under a lot of brand names for a long time. The 25 Mercury on my GF16 was built by Tohatsu, never had a moments trouble with it, and it would run from daylight to dark on 6 gallons.

In these small light boats, I think the lighter weight of a 2 stroke is worth the small increase of fuel burn. As Joel pointed out, it's almost negligible difference in a day of inshore fishing. My 70 Yamaha 2 stroke seldom burns 6 gallons in a normal day of inshore fishing.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LSUred » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for y'all's input. I know this is like deciding on a boat, there's just not a perfect one for every application.

As far as e-tec, everyone I know with one has had issues, just makes me wary. Sounds like the lighter tohatsu is a good bet. Go with what you'll be doing most of, right? One catch is that there are yamaha dealers everywhere. Still trying to find a tohatsu dealer/service shop in the houston area...

Plus tohatsu comes with controls/rigging, right? I feel like I've read that the yamahas don't include the extras

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:22 am

One catch is that there are yamaha dealers everywhere. Still trying to find a tohatsu dealer/service shop in the houston area...
That is a big advantage to Yamaha, you can get parts anywhere in the world. Plus, you probably won't need to, except routine maintenance items. :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

remedy32

Post by remedy32 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 am

Older 40 hp 2 stroke Yamaha has bee great on my FS17 CC. My 9 gal tank holds enough for a day of local fishing leaving the tank half full. Never really did the math but I'm guessing less than 3 gph at 20 mph.

Bill
CT