Wiring

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
AlanH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Wiring

Post by AlanH » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:58 pm

I am building a FS14 and have purchased a new 15hp Four Stroke Electric Start Coleman Outboard. While you are all scratching your heads about why would someone do that, it was about half the price of the other manufacturers ($1,425 delivered from Overstock.com). It is made in China by a company named Parsun and they have been selling in Australia for about eight years. The Aussie reviews were all pretty good.

Now to my question. I have no clue how to wire it. It has the black and red battery leads and three other wires, yellow, green and black. The wiring diagram in the owners manual does not help. I am not a wiring person and I am clueless what to do other than hook up the battery to the battery leads. I don’t plan to put much in the boat other than a bilge pump and maybe a horn. I might add lights at some point. Does anyone know what I need to do? I would like to have it charge the battery.

Thanks, Alan

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wiring

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:27 am

This company sells the Parsuns in Florida and I am certain that he has all the wiring diagrams:
http://www.epowermarine.com/

but I don't know how much he will help if you bought the motor somewhere else.

I don't have the diagram.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Alan,

I looked at the wiring diagram in the owner's manual and it looks like the green, yellow and black are for adding an optional tachometer and oil warning gauge. The black is ground. The green goes to the ignition (spark plug). And the yellow goes to the sump pressure sensor. The engine should run without connecting these.

Mike

AlanH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AlanH » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks very much for the help. Wiring is not my strong point. That helps me more than you know.