Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:03 am

It is good to see you post something Eric!

After my bypass operation I was stuck at home for 3 months waiting for my chest to get a little better. I tried my hand at baking things. It is very tough thing to self teach but I did get a nice loaf of bread from time to time. Just couldn't adjust everything to the different humidity and temps down here in Houston. Every time I nice loaf came out I loved the smell so much I had to have a sample piece. After I spread the butter I always ate the whole loaf while it was still warm.

Every time I mix a batch of epoxy with wood flour it reminds me of my learning to bake days and why I like to weigh everything.

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:36 am

Who knew old sailors liked to bake! Nice bread is a gift from God. :)

BrianC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BrianC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Eric1 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 am
Did you try a spritz of water on the dough going in ? Then a preheated pan under them, with a splash of water to make steam. That's what I'm going to try first.
I place a pan with a couple of bricks in the bottom of the oven & then pour in 4-6 oz. of water just before closing the door. There are a good set of recipes along with detail instructions here: https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/our ... te-recipe/
"...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:15 am

Eric1 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 am

Did you try a spritz of water on the dough going in ? Then a preheated pan under them, with a splash of water to make steam. That's what I'm going to try first.
I've done that, and it helps. The traditional baguette is a real challenge, and the home bread maker is handicapped. For instance, they don't sell the kind of flour the bakeries use in the grocery store, and we aren't using professional steam ovens, but I think there's somehow even more to it than those things. Don't get me wrong, I can make very tasty loaves of bread- nobody complains- but that papery, crackly crust has so far eluded me. When we lived in Atlanta, Brennan's restaurant opened a location there; they didn't bake the bread in house, it was flown in from New Orleans. Somehow that makes me feel better!

I've now gotten into sourdoughs and have learned how delicious and complex a good true sourdough loaf is, and how much different they are from store bought sourdough that often have "sour" flavor added to the bread that was baked with baker's yeast to speed things up. The slower rising time of natural yeasts result in more flavor, and you can adjust how much sourdough tang it has by lengthening or shortening the resting periods. The technique I use now (it would also work with French bread) is trapping the moisture coming from the dough (also been spritzed with water) to create a steam chamber, which results in extra oven spring during the first portion of the bake. The ultimate for me (and most traditional) would be a sourdough French loaf with that crust . . who knows, maybe some day.

It's a great creative activity with a fun payout, glad to hear you're enjoying it. Post a picture!
Hank

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:52 am

I just pulled my first artisan loaves from the oven. I'll try to post a picture. I thought it best to do a few basics before jumping in to baguettes or a sour dough. I'll have to make a start for sourdough any. Thanks for the post!

Picture took a bit. My home computer is a dinosaur. :D

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Looks fantastic! Little bit of that and some good hearty soup, mmm, mmm :D

I don't eat a lot of bread in the warmer months. Once it starts getting cool though, I start making more soups, stews and other semi liquid meals. They absolutely go best with some handcrafted bread.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks Eric. :D
I let it rest a few minutes and had a slice with butter and sugar free BlackBerry jam. Good grief, It was awesome. Danielle and I have a batch of fast dough for baguettes proofing now. Not sure about this one.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:04 pm

Mmmm! I can almost smell it, nothing like bread fresh out of the oven!

It goes good with some cheese, or dip in olive oil with some fresh ground black pepper. There's nothing like a grilled cheese sandwich made with home made bread, too. :D
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:26 pm

You guys are making me hungry :D

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:20 pm

First try at baguettes. Not bad, nice chewy inside, outside could have been a bit more crisp. Next time I'll only spritz once. I think the second shot was to much as the bottom crisped nicely. Needs some work.