Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Eric's C21

Post by MikeyGnz » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:15 pm

Great to see you back on the boat. I found your thread one morning and read all 200&something pages in 1 day. Almost cried at the end of the day when i saw it may go to someone else unfinished.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:32 pm

MikeyGnz wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:15 pm
Great to see you back on the boat. I found your thread one morning and read all 200&something pages in 1 day. Almost cried at the end of the day when i saw it may go to someone else unfinished.
Thanks friend. :)

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:49 am

Hi Eric,

I felt I need to say something to you,
I never build a boat in my life, but I will someday. Your build is a great inspiration and how-to to me.
I'll start to build a CX21 1:5 model this winter.

I just want you to know there are more people then you think who like your build and hope you finish her.

Sometimes life is hard, I know. But there will always be new lights and wonders that's for sure!

Eric, you are very strong, that's what I've read in your tread.
Someday my best man, your dream will come tru.

Daniel

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:05 am

Thank you Daniel.
I never thought my build thread would inspire. I hoped it would just document the journey as others could avoid my errors. :)
You are correct about moving forward though. Life has to be lived like a river. Rivers never flow backwards. I like the river, will move forward no matter the obstacles and in time I shall reach my destination.

I hope you enjoy your build. You will learn a lot about yourself as you go along.
All the best,
Eric

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Glad to see you are back at it Eric!!

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:31 am

I just ordered my tanks from speedy tanks. One 36 gallon and one 35 gallon. Wow, $1,120 and I'll have to pay shipping. I have a quote coming from Armstrong for the bracket too. Stay tuned.....

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Eric1 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:31 am
I just ordered my tanks from speedy tanks. One 36 gallon and one 35 gallon. Wow, $1,120 and I'll have to pay shipping. I have a quote coming from Armstrong for the bracket too. Stay tuned.....
Just think of them as nice safes you are going to be storing all that money you pump into them :)

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:06 pm

I did get a little more done on the build. I've cut and fitted the stringer cleats.
It took a good bit of time as I am working alone. I took measurements and wrote them on a tablet.
That allowed me to cut them all in one session. I only had one miss, I marked 48 7/8 for a 49 7/8 length. :lol:
I got a second coat of epoxy on them this morning and started build the Bow eye pad.
I decided to use drops of okume ply to build this up. I taped a 6" x 7' piece in place then made
form templates from cardboard to match the hull. This way I can build the layers up and not have to sand the shape as much.
I'm using Gel-Magic for this. I know it's good stuff but it is my least favorite of that product line to work with.

I had to meet a Friend at the shop this morning, he bought our bead blaster and
today was the only day he could pick it up. I met his Dad, Really good guy, retired Army and Vietnam Vet.
We ended up talking for about an hour. I really respect that generation a great deal.
I yet to meet a Veteran that I didn't consider Family. If you meet one these guys, lend your ear and you will be blessed for it.

Here are my pictures.

The clamps are just finger tight and were a pain to set. Everything wanted to shift and slide around.
You can see the templates in the background behind the GelMagic.

I started looking at deck hardware and I got sticker shock! I won't be using pop up Cleats! Good grief things have gotten expensive.
I'm also going to use bow eyes at the stern. I don't like the single bolt design of stern eyes.
They just don't seem strong and I plan to use them as tow points.
I can't order the outboard bracket yet. They need to know where the scuppers and transducer will be. I do plan to
Move the scaffold and get measurements so they can give me a quote. I'm planning a full width (less a couple of inches per side)
with integrated swim ladder and a kicker bracket. I don't need a kicker for offshore as much as I may run one for slow trolling the lakes.
Any way I'll hush up for now, Just kicking ideas around. Better than thinking about the rest of my life. :wink:
I am going to bake a couple of loaves of Challah later today, so that's something to look forward to.

Love y'all, Have a good weekend.

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:40 pm

They have actually changed gel magic a good bit since that bottle you have there. It's no longer a liquid that gels when you mix it, but it comes as a gel in 2 tubs that you mix on a board like ez fillet or quickfair. No idea if that would change what you don't like about working with it, but just so you aren't surprised if you ever get more.

It also comes in caulking cartridges with self mixing tips which can be very convenient for some thing, but is much more expensive by volume.