Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:53 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:53 am

Nice idea with the foam, took ages to go around the double curvature parts in wood.


Alan.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5760
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm
Location: Vero Beach

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:47 am

Nice use of the foam!!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:17 pm
Location: Spartanburg,S.C.

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:52 am

Thanks Guys! I'm glad I had it on hand, saved a bunch of work.

It only took a little more than an hour to sand this side level this morning.

Image

I fitted the opposite side:

Image

And Glued them in place.
This was about 4 oz. of glue.

Image

User avatar
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 3018
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Eric's C21

Post by glossieblack » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am

Nice solution. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:17 pm
Location: Spartanburg,S.C.

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am

After sanding the left side cleats to level, I decided to use the dam technique to fill the void at the end of the short stringers and the bow.
I'm not sure how well the two part foam will fill tight corners so this is just a safety on my part.
I'm sure I'm doing unnecessary things as I build, but hey, it's my first build. :lol:

Here's the Dam Pictures:

Image

Image

As I checked level this morning I found the last piece on the right was low.
I made a dam at the bow and built up the top to raise it.

Image

Current status:

Image

If all of the glue sets I'll coat the foam with epoxy to seal the ten billion small pores.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:17 pm
Location: Spartanburg,S.C.

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 am

glossieblack wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am
Nice solution. :D
Thanks Glossie. I know it has saved me some time. I like working with foam.
If I ever finish this build I'd like to build a GF16 in all foam.

Dan_Smullen
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:02 pm
Location: VA

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Dan_Smullen » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 am

Hey, Eric. I have a Throwback Thursday question for you.

Do you recall how you manged tape around the overlap of the upper and lower side panel at the transom?

Did you level up the 1/4" step at the edge of the upper panel, stop tape at he step, or just tape right across the step?

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:17 pm
Location: Spartanburg,S.C.

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Dan_Smullen wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 am
Hey, Eric. I have a Throwback Thursday question for you.

Do you recall how you manged tape around the overlap of the upper and lower side panel at the transom?

Did you level up the 1/4" step at the edge of the upper panel, stop tape at he step, or just tape right across the step?
I sanded a tapered transition and put enough fillet to allow the tape to form.
Then after glassing the sides I came back and built the edge back up and sanded it to form.

You can see the transition if you look closely. I'm trying to find the pictures where I filled it and built it back up.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2972
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:17 pm
Location: Spartanburg,S.C.

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Eric1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Eric1 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:27 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 am
Hey, Eric. I have a Throwback Thursday question for you.

Do you recall how you manged tape around the overlap of the upper and lower side panel at the transom?

Did you level up the 1/4" step at the edge of the upper panel, stop tape at he step, or just tape right across the step?
I sanded a tapered transition and put enough fillet to allow the tape to form.
Then after glassing the sides I came back and built the edge back up and sanded it to form.

Piece of 1/4" aluminum with peel ply tape to work surface.

Image

Filled and covered with tape.
Image

This worked ok but I still had to use quick fair and a block sander to get it right.

Dan_Smullen
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:02 pm
Location: VA

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Dan_Smullen » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:20 pm

Thanks, Eric. Sounds like you filled it in, then recreated the step feature. Is this right?

To avoid hi jacking your thread, I posted a new question.

Forgive me for the interruption. Given the similarities between your build and mine just beginning. I've been using this thread and your pics as reference a lot.

Back to you regularly scheduled progress...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CatfishHunter and 3 guests