Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:29 pm

Excellent work as always Eric!!! Jeff

Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 pm

Hey, Eric. Are you inclined to build any camber into the deck so it drains to the side, or just make it level?

I’ve been wondering about what approach is best.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:33 pm

Very nice work Eric. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 pm

Dan_Smullen wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 pm
Hey, Eric. Are you inclined to build any camber into the deck so it drains to the side, or just make it level?

I'm going with level.

Thanks Glossie.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:23 am

Just wondering couldn't you have kerfed the side cleats to make the bends? Then fill the kerfs with thickened epoxy and put in place?

Regardless, looking great Eric and am I thrilled to know you're moving forward on the boat!!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:44 am

Dan_Smullen wrote:

The decks have camber as designed but the sole is flat. I count on the boat to move enough to drain. That's the way it is in all production boats but some lifeboats and surf boats have camber in the sole. It's rare.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:15 pm

piperdown wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:23 am
Just wondering couldn't you have kerfed the side cleats to make the bends? Then fill the kerfs with thickened epoxy and put in place?

Regardless, looking great Eric and am I thrilled to know you're moving forward on the boat!!
Yes that could have been done and I considered it. I felt this was faster and equally as good a technique.
Thanks Piperdown. :D

cracked_ribs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cracked_ribs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:45 am

jacquesmm wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:44 am
Dan_Smullen wrote:

The decks have camber as designed but the sole is flat. I count on the boat to move enough to drain. That's the way it is in all production boats but some lifeboats and surf boats have camber in the sole. It's rare.
I have also seen the reverse done: to put a very gentle lift in the corners of the sole where it meets the frames, just to prevent water from pooling in the corners. Whether it's worth doing or not I have no idea but it's an interesting concept but I think Jacques' point is well taken: the boat should ideally be either covered up on on the water and if it's either of those, the water should be leaving on its own.

I would not camber a deck in a boat with exposed frames, though: that's directing it to an area with built-in obstructions.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 am

That is my plan for the exposed frame. An old boat of mine had that issue. Over time rot developed there. Polyester layup, not mine, factory build.

Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:54 am

Eric1 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 am
That is my plan for the exposed frame. An old boat of mine had that issue. Over time rot developed there. Polyester layup, not mine, factory build.
Great points, Eric and Cracked Ribs!