Layout dreaming/designing (FS17)

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Layout dreaming/designing (FS17)

Post by silentneko » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:05 pm

I was going to start on a new build this past December, but unfortunately I ended up having shoulder surgery. So the build will be delayed maybe up to a year. While I sit here recovering I have had a decent amount to dream and ponder about what layout and options I will want. I’ll be building an FS17 from and power it with a 50-60hp motor. I’m starting this thread to show and discuss some of the layouts I’ll be considering. It’s a smaller boat so some things may not be realistic.
I started the process by sketching out my current skiff, The Plytanic, and the FS17 overviews in Photshop. The overviews are semi accurate as I drew them out using actual measurements.

Here is my current skiff:

Here is an overview of the 2 boats, my skiff in black, and the FS17 in grey. As you can see the FS17 is a bit larger in most respects which gives me some liberties in the layout:
ImageBoat Comparison a by https://www.flickr.com/photos/144449430@N04/, on Flickr

This is the first layout I came up with, I haven’t decided on how I’ll be doing the gunnels yet. The grey outline is the edge of the sole:
ImageFS17 Sample1a by https://www.flickr.com/photos/144449430@N04/, on Flickr

I’ll be adding more layouts as I get time until I find one I like. There are some obvious design constraints I’ll be working in, but none that seem to limiting. I’m very open to suggestions and discussion as this is all in fun and interest. Cheers.

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Layout dreaming/designing (FS17)

Post by TomW1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:08 pm

silentneko wrote: This is the first layout I came up with, I haven’t decided on how I’ll be doing the gunnels yet. The grey outline is the edge of the sole:
ImageFS17 Sample1a by https://www.flickr.com/photos/144449430@N04/, on Flickr

I’ll be adding more layouts as I get time until I find one I like. There are some obvious design constraints I’ll be working in, but none that seem to limiting. I’m very open to suggestions and discussion as this is all in fun and interest. Cheers.
We need to know what your fishing plans are for your FS17. I see an enlarged front deck and enlarged rear deck. Reasons why? The FS17 can go offshore on good days for grouper any interest in that. It is fun to sit and develop different lay outs for the boat you want. I know I did it for two different boats, but neither got built. :( I ended up buying Cracker Larry's OD18. Good luck Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Where are you planning on putting the batteries? If you go with a 24 volt trolling motor that'll be three of 'em, counting the starter battery, so figure around 150lbs total :doh: I'm fooling with this as I progress on my little SK14, which is of course less tolerant of weight, but will need only a 12 volt troll motor and no starter battery. Sure looks like fun and maybe the sanding will be extra PT for the shoulder.

Dougster

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:16 pm

This boat will be a "jack of all trades" or a mini bay boat of sorts. I fish the shallows and channels of tampa bay down to englewood, I go scalloping in Homosassa, take the family to pass-a-grille for beach days and camping on shell key......I do this all now with my skiff, but it's time for an upgrade. I'd like to cross the bay in comfort, fish under the skyway, head down to the keys for lobster season, do more near shore and minor offshore.......maybe one day organize a group crossing to Bimini? Lol

The batteries will be in the console, that's where mine is now and with the increased size I'll be able to fit the 2 I need. I'll be sticking to a 55lbs thrust 12volt TM. The FS17 is so light it doesn't need the 70lbs 24volt. My current skiff was using a 45lbs and it worked very well until I snapped the head off in the river, lol. The FS17 will not be much heavier overall.

Whatever trolling motor you get, make sure it is variable thrust. It will cost more but I swear it will increased the battery time by at least 25%, meaning a smaller battery will still do the job well. The one I broke was a 5-speed after giving my variable to my in-law, but I would still get a solid 2-3 hours out of a group 27, and still had enough to run the pumps and crank my 20hp.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:09 am

A 12 volt troll motor makes sense to me too for your build, now that I think of it's weight. Years ago I had a 24 volt MotorGuide on a heavy 18' center console and maintaining two big old deep cycles was a pita. Double $$, double weight, and double trouble for probably less than double power. I lean toward the MG XIV with anchor lock on the SK14. Pricey and Techie, but I'd sure like to push a button and be "anchored".

Dougster

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:42 am

The anchor feature is what I really want, both the i-pilot and Xi5 have it. When I get closer I'll start looking to see which one has better reviews.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:07 pm

Still playing. Lots of things to consider. One thing I want is a touch of individuality. An option or 2 not usually seem in such a small boat, but they still need to be practical and feasible.

Here's another option, I love leaning post/Live well combos, just not sure it will work out just yet.
ImageFS17 Sample2 https://www.flickr.com/photos/144449430@N04/, on Flickr

rhayeswilliams
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rhayeswilliams » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:20 pm

What boat model is the one you currently have?

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:52 pm

It's one of my own design, just a simple skiff, flat bottoman from the halfway point back.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:12 am

Still going, it's harder then most think to find a good balance in what you want.
ImageFS17 Sample3 https://www.flickr.com/photos/144449430@N04/, on Flickr