Layout dreaming/designing (FS17)

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Layout dreaming/designing (FS17)

Post by Dougster » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:42 pm

I've been following this thread and admiring your layout 'Neko, and thought l stick in my 2 cents here. On by LB22 build I put the fuel tank under the sole, as designed. It was a pita. Strapping it down, allowing for expansion, or use aluminum and pay for custom, coat it with cold tar, running fill hose and vent hose, installing access hatch. Then it's there where it's dang hard to inspect well and kind of a pita to siphon off old gas. I'd rather have portable. Dump the unused gas in the truck after each trip and use nice fresh fuel the next outing. Just a thought.

Dougster

silentneko
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Thank you Dougster. All your reasoning is why I keep coming back to a portable setup, especially on a boat this small. I recently saw another Boston Whaler, think it was about 20ft, that was using a couple of portable tanks under the leaning post instead of a below deck model. It doesn't seem so outlandish as long as it is done right.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:37 am

The stringers are about 8 to 9 inches tall including the extra inch from the 2x4 cleats on top of the stringers in the area where the fuel tank is located.

You need 2 3/4 inches above the tank for clearance for the hose and fittings, so the tank ends up being very shallow. We installed a belly tank with a V in it and reinforced the bottom per the plans with another layer of 12 oz biaxial cloth. The tank ended up being 36 gallons. I had to install an internal vent system in the tank so there could be just one inspection port. Due to the length and width, four internal baffles were required too. All of which took away usable volume and added cost.

Putting the tank below the sole does add complexity but you gain storage, and the weight is in a good spot.

Good luck with your layout. Lots of options.

silentneko
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:10 pm

I've sent 2 requests to speedytanks over the last few weeks and haven't heard back. I've got plenty of time to change things going forward, but as it sits now I'll most likely be going with the 12 gallon portable tank.

So that being said, I still finalizing my choices. Moving the livewell to the rear deck serves as a challenge as it's a lot of weight back there, but is the best arrangement for the baits health. I'm going to play a bit more with things, but I started thinking about the basic design. If I build it as a basic tiller skiff or 3 bench model, I would be sitting towards the rear deck and all the weight would be towards the rear. This isn't ideal, but the skiff will still run ok because the stern has the lowest deadrise and most buoyancy . So any weight moved forward should serve as a bonus.

That being said, my latest layout has the CG about a foot or so behind the ideal 42%, I'm thinking it will still run and float just fine, but I'm still playing. This design has the cooler under the leaning post, but leaves enough room that I can relocate it to in front of the console for better weight balance depending on how we load for the day. Or just carry an extra cooler when camping.....

ImageFS17 Sample15a , on Flickr

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:28 pm

I like the livewell to either be in the transom or in the leaning post. Stay with the transom!! Jeff

Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Call speedy tanks and ask for Tricia. She was very helpful to me. That is where I got my tank.

silentneko
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Well after playing with it I think a built in cooler might be a good way to go. That being said I might move it to the front. Swapping the cooler and livewell only changed the center of gravity by a few inches, but it still is about 10" further to the stern then the basic design. It would work, but I'll see how it changes, I would rather have the livewell in the rear for ease of plumbing.

ImageFS17 Sample16a , on Flickr

silentneko
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 am

Well I was finalizing my plans, cleaning out the garage, and getting ready to make an order to be picked up in a few weeks.......then I hit a snag!

I'm not sure the boat, how I want it, will fit in my garage. My garage is a standard 20x20 (more like 19x19) so I'll have to park it diagonally even with a swing tongue on the trailer. I was ok with that, but I never considered height. My garage door is a standard 7ft tall, but add in the tracks and hurricane bars and it's more like 6.5ft. I was standing in my garage this morning looking at my skiff thinking how nice the bigger boat will be, then it hit me. With a leaning post on a raised sole, standing console and a poling platform it might not clear the door.

I'll have to do some major measuring when I get home, but it's not looking good for the boat setup I really want.

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

Have you considered building on a cradle(not a trailer)? This would get you lower to the ground if you were worried about hight, and as long as the boat fits you don't have to worry about what it's sitting on fitting. You can just install the console after pulling the boat out of the garage if that's what you think will hit.

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:27 am

If you're looking for an excuse not to build your boat you're going to have to keep looking. My FS17 is sitting on a cradle on top of a strongback on top of a frame on top of concrete pavers (the 2" keel is about 21" above the ground, way higher than even the worst fitting trailer) and, at 6 ' 3", I can see the top of the 34 1/4" console. So, with a proper trailer and a hinged windshield, you would have p!enty of clearance. Scientifically proven.

Time to place that order and start building!

In your last 2 layouts, the only ergonomic means of egress to the casting deck is directly over the cooler.

You may be the first boater I've encountered with a case of "one-foot-itis".

Chuck