Cx25

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rich23
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Cx25

Post by Rich23 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Hello all
I recently purchased the plans for the cx25, I've been doing a lot of reading on the how to's, and the boat building manual. However I still seem stumped in the very first part of fixing the frames to The Jig. I seem to be having trouble understanding whether or not all of my frames should be made of throw away material, and do I put every frame on The Jig ? being A through I plus transom. This is all new to me so if this post is in the wrong place please let me know and if I'm looking for information in the wrong areas please let me know.

Thanks Rich

Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cx25

Post by Browndog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Rich,

It is up to you. You can use throw away molds for most of the frames except for the transom. Or you can use the frames for the build. On the build I'm doing now for the FS 19 for my brother, I ordered a CNC kit and it included molds for all frames except the transom. Once I flipped the hull all the molds were removed from the strongback and recycled by another builder, Pee Wee, for his eventual build.

If you use the frames, you have to elevate them on the strongback and you lose the support shelf for the hull panels. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

The CS 25X is an excellent offshore fishing machine. Love it, Wish there was a 28 foot version for my next build.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:15 am

Plus 10% would get you there...............just saying :D

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 am

Have you considered building one of the smaller boats first? Even the process of building a canoe or kayak with epoxy and fiberglass will give you valuable experience before tackling something as big as the Cx25.
Hank

Rich23
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:39 am

I'm very familiar with epoxy and fiberglass work. Just not so familiar with the building process. I understand how to make the cuts unfamiliar with how and what stations to place where.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 am

Ah, okay. Browndog gave a good answer, molds or frames in place, all of them, brace everything so it can't shift out of position. Have you looked at any of the build threads for that boat?
Hank

Rich23
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:07 am

I have seen other posts about this boat. I'm not very computer savvy so I haven't seen but a few. I guess maybe I'm too concerned about making sure everything I do is exactly the correct way. It seems so simple perhaps I'm reading into it too far.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 am

Rich23 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:07 am
I guess maybe I'm too concerned about making sure everything I do is exactly the correct way. It seems so simple perhaps I'm reading into it too far.
That way leads to madness. Just double check the measurements and ask questions when things don't look right. Post pictures of any think the looks off. Folks here love to help. We've all been right where you are (some of us with dinky little things).

Do not over think this. I built a boat that floats and sails. Anyone can do it.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:24 am

Rick welcome. Go down to the Builders Power Boat section and look up Peter's "Curacao CS25" build. He fully documented it, both the do's and don'ts. It is the same as yours except you will be adding the cabin.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 am

TomW1 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:24 am
Rick welcome. Go down to the Builders Power Boat section and look up Peter's "Curacao CS25" build. He fully documented it, both the do's and don'ts. It is the same as yours except you will be adding the cabin.

Tom
Excellent example of how to build that boat. Take time to read the entire build!

Eric1