Cx25

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cx25

Post by peter-curacao » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:31 am

I would start over by correcting all the frames were necessary, start with distance between transom and frame I this should be 32" + what is that 5 1/2? = 37 and ? " hate those inches. After that check all other station spaces and after that check overall measurement between frame A and transom.
This is the backbone of your build, obvious If you start wrong here everything else goes wrong.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:42 am

When marking the location of the frames/molds on the stringer, for the notches, did you take in account the thickess of the transom?
That would explain the difference.
The frame location is given from the outside of the transom but the stringer starts inside the transom.
Peter shows it in his picture: it is 6-3/8 from the outside corner but 5 from the inside. And the stringer is inside.
That explains exactly where the difference comes from.
All your notches must move back 1-/38 or 1-1/4.

PS: thank you Peter.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Rich23
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich23 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks Peter & Jacques, took the time today to make sure all stations were correct. The only one I had screwed up was the transom all others were right other, than all the notches in my stringers are incorrect because I measured from the wrong point I'm ready to start over. Peter just for the record I really truly do appreciate your help, I'm sure this is very frustrating for you but I am grateful !

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 pm

Rich23 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 pm
Thanks Peter & Jacques, took the time today to make sure all stations were correct. The only one I had screwed up was the transom all others were right other, than all the notches in my stringers are incorrect because I measured from the wrong point I'm ready to start over. Peter just for the record I really truly do appreciate your help, I'm sure this is very frustrating for you but I am grateful !
GOOD!! 8) 8) Rich don't worry as I said earlier I really want you to succeed your build because I know how it feels when you splash her and have fun behind the helm grinning from ear to ear, one day I want you to have that same feeling! 8) And yes sometimes its frustrating, but not in the way you think, it's frustrating because at times I wanna jump in my car and help you and others out, but that's unfortunately still not an option. I'm almost certain if I could have seen it in person it was solved many days ago

swglenn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swglenn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:07 am

You can cut small pieces of plywood to fill the notches and epoxy them in. Once cured you can cut the new notches in the correct place. Don't ask how I know! You will cover the old notches with fiberglass and epoxy later in the build and you will never know they are there and they will have no impact on strength.

Rich23
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich23 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:10 am

swglenn wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:07 am
You can cut small pieces of plywood to fill the notches and epoxy them in. Once cured you can cut the new notches in the correct place. Don't ask how I know! You will cover the old notches with fiberglass and epoxy later in the build and you will never know they are there and they will have no impact on strength.
I was thinking about that just wasn't sure of the structural integrity. If that's okay the new notches that I cut I will use them pieces to fill in the old ones! Thank you sir!!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:21 am

You can do it that way. The plywood layers are only the core, most of the strength comes from the fiberglass tabbing.
No need to cut new stringers.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Rich23
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich23 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:07 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:21 am
You can do it that way. The plywood layers are only the core, most of the strength comes from the fiberglass tabbing.
No need to cut new stringers.
Fantastic thanks!!!

Rich23
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich23 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi guys
It's been awhile so I figure I'd ask another dumb question. I'm very close to start putting on my fiberglass fabric. I have 4 different kinds and I'm not seeing in my lamination schedule which one goes where it only tells me how many layers. Obviously I don't want to just assume.
So my plans call for....
Biaxial 45/45 12oz no matt fabric 50" 111 yards
Biaxial 0/90 12oz no matt fabric 50" 6 yards
Biaxial 45/45 12oz with matt fabric 50" 6 yards
Woven 6oz fabric 50" 12 yards
I have looked through my 17-page building notes and cannot seem to find the answer to my question can someone point me in the right direction or tell me what I should be using where?

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:53 pm

By head 3 x biax tape staggered on keel outside and inside, same but 2x for chines.
Wide fabric bottom 2x staggered at keel inside and out, sides the same but 1x and staggered at chines.
Maybe I'm wrong but don't feel like pulling out the plans at this moment.
If no one chimes in maybe tomorrow I will take a look, hope this helps for now