Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by joe2700 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:04 pm

narfi wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 am
Chuck H wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:02 am
the bottom holes of an outboard motor mount need to be 9 7/8" from the top of the clamping board ( in the cutout ) so you can adjust the depth of the clamping board accordingly.

I hope that didn't make things more confusing.

Chuck
that helps me....
i can cut the clamping boards ensuring when i trace the transom that there is atleast 10 7/8 (9 7/8 plus edge distance.... is 1" edge enough?) of clamping board where the motor mounts.

That will likely be more than the 10 7/8 notch cut in the motorwell sides but not a big deal i can trim them to fit when installing.

does that sound right?
I think the plan of making the clamping board first, ensuring it goes from the cutout down far enough for the bottom motor bolts plus a little extra, makes sense. Don't cut any notch in the motorwell side yet, then you can just take the measurement from your clamping board when it comes time to cut the notch. The plans are pretty confusing around this part as you've found, so just go slow and figure it out as you can actually put the parts together. Once you have them in 3d space it will make more sense.

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:35 am

Have been getting some condensation in the tent dripping on the wood and freezing.... just what i had laying on the table and I dont think its soaked in very deep.

Finished tracing and cutting out the clamping boards tonight and then brought them inside to dry out. Will glue them inside once im satisfied they are dry.
20171018_213344.jpg

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:53 am

Glued the transom and clamping board together a couple nights ago. It looks good.

I am pretty sure I have the best wife in the world.....
She just told me she doesnt need a dining room or sitting room for the winter.
There are double doors off our dining room so I need to measure and make sure an FS17 hull can fit through them......

She is a big fan of the tv series Dexter and the selling point that tipped the scales was telling her we could make a "Dexter room".
(for those who havent seen the show he is a vigalante serial killer who often stages his killings in visquine rooms)

Only rule is no power tools late at night which seems reasonable.

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:41 am

narfi wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:53 am

She is a big fan of the tv series Dexter and the selling point that tipped the scales was telling her we could make a "Dexter room".
(for those who havent seen the show he is a vigalante serial killer who often stages his killings in visquine rooms)
Made me chuckle, Narfi. Whenever I "sheet up" a room for plastering a ceiling, I think of Dexter :-) Bloody-good series (pun intended)

Looking forward to following your build.

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:03 am

Glued up the stringers saturday night while momma was out. When finished we wiped up all excess thickened epoxy and then weighted them down with paint cans. Then we wiped up all that squeezed out and went to bed.

Next morning we realized the weight kept squeezing it out and they were both glued to the dining room floor vinyl tiles.......

Good thing is the tiles need replacing anyways and we didnt damage them too much cutting the resin drips off......

Momma just shook her head and asked, "I thought you were supposed to put plastic under it?......"

Tonight we glued the bottom panels together with one side of 12oz tape. (we did put plastic down this time)
I wondered about just taping one side and putting it on the inside to eleviate some fairing down the road but then I went back and read the instructions again.....

"Cut the panels, line them up and assemble the parts with a fiberglass splice. That fiberglass splice is
a piece of biaxial fiberglass tape 12 oz. (400 gr) 6” wide (15 cm), one layer each side. Again, see our
tutorials for details."

So we will be taping the other side as well.
We still dont have the dexter room setup. I need an energetic day to move all the dining room and sitting room furnature first. Thinking of retiring the old overstuffed easychair to the top of Landons double decker playhouse but its heavy......

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:25 am

Narfi, Good to hear from you!! How is your weather, cold already?? Jeff

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:25 am

yes the early snow melted but we have had a skim of snow on the ground for a week now again and pretty cold. Lots of ice crystals under my floor tarp in the tent makes walking around out there "crunchy"

narfi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by narfi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Weather report for Jeff......
20171109_083433.jpg
Landon helped me drag the bottom pannels out to the tent last night and I sanded the epoxy drips off the second side and brought them back in.

They were pretty cold by then as I had also spent some time sanding the excess off the stringers as well. So I let them aclimate to inside temps overnight and layed the glass tape splice down this morning before work.

Weather picture is 8am getting ready for work. Definatly a beaver hat day for my honda ride to the hangar :p

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Nice to hear you're making progress, it sure looks cold there this morning!
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm

NARFI, wow, lots of snow!! Really pretty but I am sure it is too cold already!! Jeff