Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by cape man » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:51 pm

Awesome!

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Yes it is very awesome!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:09 pm

So is it warm enough to work there? It is dang hot over on my side of the pond :help:

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:13 pm

She's looking good!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:13 am

Fuzz wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:09 pm
So is it warm enough to work there? It is dang hot over on my side of the pond :help:
Yup it's hot, but I'm not complaining. Hope it keeps up for the next couple weeks as I push on getting this done. I enjoy the project but would like to get out on the lake this summer. Landon went out with some friends today, boated across to a nice beach and hung out with their boys his age for the afternoon.

I ground the supports down enough I could slide the fuel tank in. The box is big enough for it no problem, but with the batans glued around the lip it just wouldn't quite fit in.

Cut and glued the last of the supports for tops of the console base boxes.(the support against the gunwale)

Filleted around the hatch supports for the bow and transom hatches.

Cut the fuel tank tiedown stips. I had layed them up yesterday with 3 layers of 12oz. I cut 5 1" strips and 8ntended to glue a sample one to something today but forgot.

Drilled holes in all the bulkheads for wiring cables and plumbing. I forgot about the battery cables to the motor..... will have to see if they will fit with the other cables or if I need another hole. The plug for the controls to the motor is pretty big, had to cut a 1 3/4" hole for the end but the cable is much smaller.

Glued 2 scraps of 5/8" together with a peice of 12oz cloth in between I will use to mount the transducer. I'm sure its overkill but figured the glass may help keep the embedded bold heads from pulling through.... I plan to epoxy them in with the threads sticking out like studs.

I keep thinking I'm nearly done but then realize just how many time consuming little things are left.

Once I get all the little stuff done I'll prime and paint inside the gunwales and compartments, then do the plumbing and wiring, then I'll hopefully be ready to glue the tops on everything.

Then glass and fair it all and make the consoles, fair the exterior...... prime and paint.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 am

Sounds like a lot of work!

Your boat is really looking good Narfi!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:56 am

Good progress Narfi!!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:33 am

Cleaned up the openings on the back of the rounded seat boxes and routed a nice radius around it.

Spent most of the night sanding down all the tapes on the gunwale side panels and feathering the edges down.

Routed the bottom edge of the gunwale side panels.

They look good unless you stick your head underneath, then they look pretty ugly, but i doubt anyone is going to be looking up inside the gunwales....... one of those things I have to accept it isnt worth the time to make something no one will ever see look nice.

Realized when drilling holes this weekend I cut off one of the pigtails to the lights under the drivers rounded seat. I will have to figure out if there is enough wire sticking out I can solder to or if I need to figure out another fix.

I was hoping to epoxy seal all the bare wood and battons today but by the time I was done with all that it was nearly 2am :(

I did sweep and vacume. Tomorow I need to to a little more sanding in the various compartments and under the gunwale where turds of thickened epoxy had dripped while gluing in all the support batons. Then hopefully if I get that done quickly enough I can seal everything while it's still hot in the tent.

I noticed something interesting today, I hope it's nothing to be concerned with...... the center sections of the sole, between the stringers and each bulkhead are "inflated" just a little bit. I imagine the air in the sealed compartments has expanded and is trying to inflate then like a balloon.

I see it as proof it is well sealed, but I do wonder how the shrinking/expanding cycles will effect all the seams over tine.

I'm considering mounting the engine once I have the compartments and inside the gunwales painted so that I can route and rog and wire and plumb everything and give myself a chance to correct anything before putting the lids of the compartments in and the gunwale decks. Then once satisfied remove it for final fairing and painting etc. ..

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:00 am

Finished the touch up sanding under the gunwales and inside the compartment boxes.

Cut the grooves for the lights in the transom and bow hatch supports. Sometimes I amaze myself at how good I am at missing obvious solutions. The edge guide for my router is too tall to run around the outside of the reinforcements so i ran it from the inside so it could sit down in the hatch opening, but its super wide and so couldnt do the 3-4 inches at each end of a run which is a significant portion for hatches this size. Forcing the issue an extra half to one inch ended up with ugly curved grooves. (Who cares what they look like they face down and are potted with epoxy anyways, but still I didnt like it. Did some other stuff for a little while and then realized I didnt need the guide, I could just clamp a straight edge the right distance from the edge and use the guard on the router against it. I ended up with decent grooves for the lights with just the little extra wide spots from first run that I can just fill with epoxy. It was so obvious though..... not sure why I could t see it.

Swept, vacuumed then air blasted out the boat.

Epoxy sealed all the batons and hidden faces of the gunwale as well as the underside of the top gunwale panels.

Cut and fitted the light strips and stuck them down into the grooves. Soldered up the strips with pigtails to wire up once installed on one of the panels but was too tired to finish the other two. I had wanted to get them done and epoxy coated tonight.

Comming home from work tonight I twisted my ankle real bad, so lost 45min or so icing it before I was good enough to limp around. I think I could have gotten the panels finished if I hadnt done that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:44 pm

Last night I finished soldering up the bow and transom compartment lights, then potted them in epoxy and sealed all the bare wood.

We had guests staying in the basement apartment so my wife said I couldn't make sanding noises after 10pm. So I went to bed early o.0