Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by narfi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys.
The drugs have been tearing her stomach up and she can't keep any food down. Says she would rather the pain than the nausea at this point. I'm back in town taking care of her. Got a hotel so she can rest quieter.

So sitting here all day with nothing to do but think.
I know most people here run fuel, electric and steering and throttle under the sole through chase tubes.
I think I would rather a 100% sealed floor and run everything under the gunwals.(still through tubes I think) Is there any concerns with doing it this way?

Next thing is most people buy or have built fuel tanks under the sole or to fit in compartments.
I think I want to build composite tanks myself and put them under the seats in front of each side consol. What are the main concerns with this approach?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Narfi, very sorry for her!! Sounds terrible!! We wish her a speedy recovery!! Jeff

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:06 pm

narfi wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:11 pm

So sitting here all day with nothing to do but think.
I know most people here run fuel, electric and steering and throttle under the sole through chase tubes.
I think I would rather a 100% sealed floor and run everything under the gunwals.(still through tubes I think) Is there any concerns with doing it this way?

Next thing is most people buy or have built fuel tanks under the sole or to fit in compartments.
I think I want to build composite tanks myself and put them under the seats in front of each side consol. What are the main concerns with this approach?
Guys only run that stuff under the sole if it's a center console. With a side console the steering and controls are usually ran under the gunnel. Fuel can be too.

As far as the fuel tanks are concerned I don't think you can make a gasoline tank out of fiberglass anymore, just diesel. You can have aluminum ones made to fit if you need, but on smaller boats it's best to center the weight. I looked into it a while back cause I would like to build a glass tank myself, I remember not getting the answer I liked so I'm going with plastic tanks.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Well I haven't dug too deep yet but biggest issue is ethonal resistance. I'll have to make sure to use a resin known to be ethonal resistant and perhaps even another coating once done as well.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Coast guard regulations do not allow for a fiberglass composite gas tank, has to be either plastic or aluminum. As SilentNeko indicated, only allowable for diesel and then it is not recommended there either.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:43 pm

It was my understanding coast guard didn't regulate amature builds?
I prefer to know why than that some government says so :)

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:19 pm

How are you going to seal the inside of the composite tank from gasoline and ethanol both? Melt down a regular plastic fuel tank and roll it around?

I bought two really nice fuel tanks 64gallons from Moeller on Amazon. Not worth the cash saved, nor the time spent to do in composite. My cost was $275 bucks per tank; free shipping.

There are some things that the bush method doesn't beat. Fuel tanks is one.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Money is a good reason.
Sorry if my earlier post seemed confrontational..... that wasnt my intent.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi Narfi, if you’re dead set on making your own fuel tank you might look to make an aluminum riveted tank as used in lots of light aircraft. Riveted tanks are stronger than welded tanks and easier to make. They are FAA and various other government authorities approved as in an incident they tend to deform usually without leaking where as a welded tank usually splits along the weld. They are also very good in situations where the gas is left in them for long periods between use. You can find details of how to build one online or I can send you the basics if you can’t find it. I must say though having built a few, unless you’re dead set on a specific shape it’s almost certainly cheaper to purchase a ready made one.
Alan.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm

I guess I will swim upstream a little on this. Under ground gas station tanks are built out of fibreglass so I think they can and will work. I do agree that glass tanks are a no-no for production builders but I am not sure that applies to home built boats. Fibreglass tanks built using vinyl ester for diesel are a very good way of doing it. Most production builders do not do it because the cost in time and material is usually less with metal tanks. As for the problems ethanol that is no problem here as we are the only state that does not use it in our gas.