Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:47 am

Peter, great photos!! Lot of truth there!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Great one Peter! :lol: :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:19 am

I realized I hadnt cut out the transom yet.....
Drew it out with no problem but then I confused myself again.....

I can't find the height for the clamping boards. I am sure it is obvious but can't seem to find it.

I know that they are traced from the already cut out transom, but I am not sure how far down they are supposed to go.......

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:56 am

10 7/8 in the plans, but you can go all the way to the baseline at the expense of some weight.

You'll find it at the top of D284_5_US, its confusing though, because the measurement is given on the space you cut for it in the motorwell sides.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:23 am

ok thanks that makes sense. I assume that is 10 7/8 from the corners?

Also trying to wrap my mind around the 'deck' level.
The deckline is where the molds are cut off and rest on the strongback....
The deckline is 14" above the baseline....
The deckline seems to be below the sheer?????
The deckline does not seem to match with the top of the transom or the transom cutout (for 20" shaft)?????

Is the deckline just an arbitrary location to line up the strongback with? or does it relate to something else as well?

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:15 am

narfi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:23 am
ok thanks that makes sense. I assume that is 10 7/8 from the corners?

Also trying to wrap my mind around the 'deck' level.
The deckline is where the molds are cut off and rest on the strongback....
The deckline is 14" above the baseline....
The deckline seems to be below the sheer?????
The deckline does not seem to match with the top of the transom or the transom cutout (for 20" shaft)?????

Is the deckline just an arbitrary location to line up the strongback with? or does it relate to something else as well?
10 7/8 from the flat part in the middle of the transom, where the motor will mount. The part of the transom that is 12 5/8 tall in the plans, the clamping board cover at least the top 10 7/8 of that, or you can go all the way to baseline so 12 5/8 tall.

You are right that the deckline is arbitrary. You'll notice the plans also show a one side of each frame going above the deckline a specified amount, I think that is the distance to the sheer. This description about the deckline is in the instructions:
We show a line parallel to the baseline, it is the marked DL for deck line. That line is the level of the
lower face of the decks and bench tops. It is also the level of the top of our strongbacks. This limits
the required cuts and measurements. Except for mold A, we will cut all the molds at that level.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Motorwell.png
Motorwell.png (8.77 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Ok, now I am getting more confused again :/

I think what is labeled 'Baseline' in this diagram (from D284/5) is actually the 'Deckline'?

The 'Deckline' (if that is what it is) does not seem parallel to the bottom line of the motorwell sides.
19 3/4 does not equal 20 1/8...........

This seems critical to me as the transom is positioned based off of the motorwell side pieces (and angle cut in strongbacks)

If I was to guess I would think the upper left corner is square in that diagram and none of the others are?
(Is it possible for anyone to confirm this for me? I have gotten mixed messages on that exact question in the past)

With that assumption the top and left lines are square with each other.
the 17 7/8 and 20 1/8" measurements would be vertical and horizontal measurements to mark the corner and not line lengths....

That in turn means the back edge is (very) roughly 20 5/8" which is (also very roughly) an inch higher than the transom cutout........
This then means that the clamping board is only (roughly) 9.75 - 10" tall where the motor mounts.
Perhaps this is perfect? 10 inches for the clamping board at the cut out?

That all falls in place and seems logical sort of in my head now...... unless I need a full 10 7/8" of clamping board......

I am sure I am over thinking it, but I would like to understand it before I cut stuff.

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:02 am

Narfi,

You're right, the drawing is mislabeled. Keep in mind that the bottom hull panels are twisted due to the variable deadrise. A line drawn near the keel won't be parallel to a line drawn near the chine. The top edge of the motorwell sides shoud be perpendicular to the motorwell bulkhead on the deckline. The longitudinal members of your strong back should be spaced so that the motorwell sides sit on top of them, properly setting the transom angle.

I think the top of the clamping board we be at the deckline, it gains a lot of strength from being glued directly to the deck. Another thing you might want to consider is that the bottom holes of an outboard motor mount need to be 9 7/8" from the top of the clamping board ( in the cutout ) so you can adjust the depth of the clamping board accordingly.

I hope that didn't make things more confusing.

Chuck

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 am

Chuck H wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:02 am
the bottom holes of an outboard motor mount need to be 9 7/8" from the top of the clamping board ( in the cutout ) so you can adjust the depth of the clamping board accordingly.

I hope that didn't make things more confusing.

Chuck
that helps me....
i can cut the clamping boards ensuring when i trace the transom that there is atleast 10 7/8 (9 7/8 plus edge distance.... is 1" edge enough?) of clamping board where the motor mounts.

That will likely be more than the 10 7/8 notch cut in the motorwell sides but not a big deal i can trim them to fit when installing.

does that sound right?