FS14 Sorry TomW1

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14 What is the best lumber for the Jig/strongback

Post by peter-curacao » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:41 am

Capt UB Tom is only trying to help, why so harsh? and Tom imho you should leave Larry out of this, but that's just me. :wink:

topwater

Post by topwater » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 am

Tom how is buying one LVL 12 " long and cutting it in half going to triple the cost :?: I guess i was an idiot when i rebuilt
my jig with LVL's after setting the molds 5 times and not getting it straight and true to my liking . I would set everything with
a laser and come back the next day and it would move and this was in a temperature controlled shop . Sure i could have left
the shit lumber in the shop for two months waiting for it to stabilise but why waste that much time when all i had to do was
buy a LVL :?:
Sorry Capt for the rant , build on :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 am

topwater wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 am
Tom how is buying one LVL 12 " long and cutting it in half going to triple the cost :?: I guess i was an idiot when i rebuilt
my jig with LVL's after setting the molds 5 times and not getting it straight and true to my liking . I would set everything with
a laser and come back the next day and it would move and this was in a temperature controlled shop . Sure i could have left
the shit lumber in the shop for two months waiting for it to stabilise but why waste that much time when all i had to do was
buy a LVL :?:
Sorry Capt for the rant , build on :!:
I followed the Designers plans on a Strongback and Keelson, picking the best lumber locally, laying it out. Only to have both 2x4's fail during the build (open carport). I gave away the unfinished hull, do to cost of repair...
I like the cost of LVL....

This was what the designer and carpenters said to build... Why I ask so many quedtions. Bateau strongback/jig could have worked of the Spira build... If I had only asked the same questions asked here!
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.95 KiB) Viewed 142 times
I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

1970? 13' Canvas on frame canoe
2017 Bateau FS14, starting build Oct 2017.
2017 Bateau NC16, starting soon.

peter-curacao

Re: FS14 UPDATED What is the best lumber for the Jig/strongback

Post by peter-curacao » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Yeah that strongback doesn't look like much, only 2 support points? that's ridiculous.
Btw no question is a dumb question so ask away :) , also you should build your boat the way you wanna build it after all it's your boat 8)

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:14 pm

I gave you the same exact advice as Tom, just trying to be helpful and possibly save you a little time and money and you jumped all over him. Why? All we are suggesting is that a 14' boat does not require I beams for a strong back. If you disagree, just ignore the post, no need for the very nasty rant. I don't know Tom, but I do know that he spends an enormous amount of time helping other builders on the forum, and deserves an apology. Mike

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Captain UB, I have two laser straight cnc saw cut plywood box beam strong backs free to a good home.
Whew, that was a helluva run on sentence. :lol:
Deland is an hour and a half from my shop. Send me an email if you want a free strongback.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe
Currently building...PY12 Kayak and FS18 "Bare Bones"
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:40 am

Whew! Was hoping you would see this thread Richard. Capt UB, that's a deal you can't say no to. And it gets us past the foundation and on to real boat building. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

topwater

Post by topwater » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:27 am

Mike i'll see you at the boat meet , if you want i'll more than explain myself. I won't do it on the forum.
This is done .
Novi 23 finally launched !

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:07 am

John, I was not responding to your post, but to Capt. UB's uncalled for nasty post directed at Tom. Your advice is always welcome. See you this weekend. Mike

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:59 am

I followed the Designers plans on a Strongback and Keelson, picking the best lumber locally, laying it out. Only to have both 2x4's fail during the build (open carport). I gave away the unfinished hull, do to cost of repair...
I like the cost of LVL....

This was what the designer and carpenters said to build... Why I ask so many quedtions. Bateau strongback/jig could have worked of the Spira build... If I had only asked the same questions asked here!

images.jpg
[/quote]
I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

1970? 13' Canvas on frame canoe
2017 Bateau FS14, starting build Oct 2017.
2017 Bateau NC16, starting soon.