New Outboard for RB14

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:44 pm

jtdums wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:24 am
TomW1 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:31 pm
The 25 and 30 HP Suzuki motors have the same specifications basically. So you might as well go for the 30 it will not give you a lot more speed as I have found running my calculations but maybe 3-4 mph's. A four blade propeller will help in your steering and maintaining running control. You may or may not get a 3 blade aluminum prop with the Suzuki.

I like the Suzuki's good motors. Be aware the Onlineoutboards 30HP is a 20" shaft. Check with them if you can get a short shaft. Also remember a short shaft may not be 15" it may be 17".

Tom
Tom,
Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for and I respect the hell out of the knowledge you share with the forum when it comes to props and motors.

The Suzuki would have to be the 25hp. The 30 is offered with the long shaft only it would appear. Kind of crazy since the change in the motor seems so minor to gain the extra 5hp. I will certainly clarify with the dealer though just to be absolutely clear.

Also, I will follow up on the forum with what ever motor/prop combo I end up with in the interest of providing other future builders as much information as possible.
From what I understand (rumor on the web) to increase the 25hp to a 30 hp on the Merc it is a plate change under the throttle body and a very slight timing adjustment. Suzuki and others could be the same, if you wanted those extra ponies. But a pitch change on the prop maybe more productive in the long run.



jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am
Location: United States
Location: Davidson, NC

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by jtdums » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:07 pm

byboatbuilder wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:00 am
For what it is worth, I purchased and installed a Suzuki DF30A on the FS17 I completed in 2016 and have been delighted with the performance. This is the max HP that includes remote with trim and tilt that I found available online. Delivery and installation was seamless and Suzuki's 6 year extended warranty was a plus. Changed the prop to stainless this summer which resulted in a slight bump up in efficiency.
Thanks for the feedback. Great info and reassurance.
Sanding is cathartic...

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am
Location: United States
Location: Davidson, NC

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by jtdums » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:10 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:44 pm
jtdums wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:24 am
TomW1 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:31 pm
The 25 and 30 HP Suzuki motors have the same specifications basically. So you might as well go for the 30 it will not give you a lot more speed as I have found running my calculations but maybe 3-4 mph's. A four blade propeller will help in your steering and maintaining running control. You may or may not get a 3 blade aluminum prop with the Suzuki.

I like the Suzuki's good motors. Be aware the Onlineoutboards 30HP is a 20" shaft. Check with them if you can get a short shaft. Also remember a short shaft may not be 15" it may be 17".

Tom
Tom,
Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for and I respect the hell out of the knowledge you share with the forum when it comes to props and motors.

The Suzuki would have to be the 25hp. The 30 is offered with the long shaft only it would appear. Kind of crazy since the change in the motor seems so minor to gain the extra 5hp. I will certainly clarify with the dealer though just to be absolutely clear.

Also, I will follow up on the forum with what ever motor/prop combo I end up with in the interest of providing other future builders as much information as possible.
From what I understand (rumor on the web) to increase the 25hp to a 30 hp on the Merc it is a plate change under the throttle body and a very slight timing adjustment. Suzuki and others could be the same, if you wanted those extra ponies. But a pitch change on the prop maybe more productive in the long run.
I was able to find the information about the Merc conversion too, but I haven't seen any confirmation on the Suzuki. I'm probably too chicken to mess with a new motor. I'd hate to void that 6 year warrantee.
Sanding is cathartic...

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:17 am
Location: Copenhagen; Denmark
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by deuce_454 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:40 pm

depends on your budget..... i would recommend a 30 HP Evinrude etec with trim.... its a light boat and trim is important .. and the pull like nothing else .. they are light and low on maintenance

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am
Location: United States
Location: Davidson, NC

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by jtdums » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm

deuce_454 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:40 pm
depends on your budget..... i would recommend a 30 HP Evinrude etec with trim.... its a light boat and trim is important .. and the pull like nothing else .. they are light and low on maintenance
Not available with the short (15" shaft) with power trim, electric start, remote controls apparently.
I'd love to hear differently.
Sanding is cathartic...

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am
Location: United States
Location: Davidson, NC

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by jtdums » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 am

jtdums wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm
deuce_454 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:40 pm
depends on your budget..... i would recommend a 30 HP Evinrude etec with trim.... its a light boat and trim is important .. and the pull like nothing else .. they are light and low on maintenance
Not available with the short (15" shaft) with power trim, electric start, remote controls apparently.
I'd love to hear differently.
Received confirmation from Etec that this configuration is not available in the short shaft.
Sanding is cathartic...

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am
Location: United States
Location: Davidson, NC

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by jtdums » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:26 am

I have gone ahead and ordered the 2017 Suzuki DF25ATS2 motor package.

It comes with electric start, power trim/tilt, a side mount remote and harness, 6 gallon tank and fuel line, and Aluminum prop. This totaled $4070 with a lift gate additional charge of $90. No tax or shipping. I'll do the install. 6 year warrantee.

Hope this information might help someone down the road.
Sanding is cathartic...

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3045
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:17 pm
Location: Spartanburg,S.C.

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by Eric1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am

jtdums wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:26 am
I have gone ahead and ordered the 2017 Suzuki DF25ATS2 motor package.

It comes with electric start, power trim/tilt, a side mount remote and harness, 6 gallon tank and fuel line, and Aluminum prop. This totaled $4070 with a lift gate additional charge of $90. No tax or shipping. I'll do the install. 6 year warrantee.

Hope this information might help someone down the road.
I had Suzukis 115's on my last boat. They ran fine and had no big issues for ten years. I did have to replace a high pressure fuel pump from the rig sitting. When gas hit $4.00 a gallon I simply could not afford to go offshore. I think you'll be pleased. :D

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am
Location: United States
Location: Davidson, NC

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by jtdums » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:39 am

Thank you Eric. It is pretty stressful when you are talking about such a big ticket item. Hopefully I'll be able to report back a positive experience.

If anyone now has anything bad to say...keep it to yourself, you're too late. :wink:
Sanding is cathartic...

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Maryland - US

Re: New Outboard for RB14

Post by tcason » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:50 am

That is a great deal on a 25 HP outboard.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests