XF 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
CatfishHunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: XF 20 Build

Post by CatfishHunter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:33 am

topwater wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:32 am
That hull looked to be built from marine fir , it will soak a lot more epoxy .
you are 100% correct on that it's fir... I'm not sure how he managed to get so many air bubbles as the inside work that i did went on smooth :lol:

Here are pics of the 1708, just want to make sure its the stuff compatible with epoxy as i've read not all 1708 is. Thanks again for your help everyone.
Jeff we must be on the same schedule as i just got your email as i'm replying to this thread lol 8)

pics far and near of both sides of the 1708 in question.
Attachments
PC080108.JPG
PC080107.JPG
PC080101.JPG
PC080100.JPG

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 am

I wonder if the matt used was intended to be used with poly resins?Sure is suspicious that u can peel away the glass.
I remember a post by CL saying that there is no use for 1708 in wooden boats.

CatfishHunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CatfishHunter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 am

Tungsten wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 am
I wonder if the matt used was intended to be used with poly resins?Sure is suspicious that u can peel away the glass.
I remember a post by CL saying that there is no use for 1708 in wooden boats.
The plans call for this material... the extra thickness is needed for the xf20... some 1708 has the mat coated with something that disolves in poly and not epoxy... I was also wandering this myself. There however is a 1708 made that is compatible with epoxy and is sold on BBC.

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:53 am

I wish i could find the thread,there was a conversation regarding the use of 1708 that's meant for epoxy.It was a good read.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 am

Do an advanced search for "1708 epoxy poly". There a lot in there about a '71 aquasport and a privateer 22. I think one of those is the thread you are looking for..

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am

CatfishHunter,

Jeff and I were looking though your pictures and discussing your situation in the shop today. From the photos you show the cloth looks good. Without seeing and touching the cloth in person all I can say is that it is either 1208 or 1708. Either way I believe your buddy that came to look at the glass job was correct, the wood was simply not pre-wet before cloth was applied. Anytime you add cloth to bare wood the wood needs to be pre-wet with epoxy. If you don't pre-wet then the wood (which is porous) it will pull the epoxy from the cloth, leaving the cloth "starved" for epoxy and resulting in dry cloth with air pockets and white/cloudy areas.
Going forward, strip all the bad cloth from the hull. If the hull surface is slick you need to rough it up with some 80 or 60 grit paper. According to Jacques specs you will need 35 yards of 1708 for the hull. When you lay up your new cloth, pre-wet the wood, lay the cloth down (chop side down) and wet out the cloth. You can use a laminating roller to help you get the cloth completely saturated as well as get the air bubbles out. Use a spreader to get the excess epoxy out of the cloth, you don't want to be left with an ice skating rink when you are done.
Sorry you had these issues but it sounds like the old cloth is coming off easily so hopefully that saves you some grinding/sanding time.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

CatfishHunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CatfishHunter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks Reid. Yeah My plan of attack is to finish the stringers on the inside, then flip the hull and grind it all out and re glass it. Anyone with a spare tyvek suit please mail them to my neighbors as it's going to get dusty...

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 am

CatfishHunter, yes we both looked at your cloth and feel it is fine!! I can't remember who said it in a prior forum post but your wood (Marine Fir) is going to soak-up some resin!! The XF20 is a great boat, you will love it when completed!! Jeff

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 am

The good thing is that hopefully that fir is now impregnated with resin and won't soak up any more.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 am

cape_fisherman wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 am
The good thing is that hopefully that fir is now impregnated with resin and won't soak up any more.
What can happen if the ply isn't wet out good first is that after you turn the lights out on what looks like a great glassing job, the ply continues to suck resin out of the cloth/mat leaving you an unpleasant surprise next morning.

I agree with cape fisherman that the ply hopefully has a full serving of resin by now.
Hank